@#&%^$ Hobby!!!

Jan

I'm getting frustrated!!!! first my fish die, I still have the QT's set up with 3 survivors. Nitrates are off and I'm barely feeding. I've got high phosphates. My PH is off. I have at least 3 types of hair algae growing all over. I replaced all filter media and TDS still 8!!! I have no water mixed for changes. I'm a gimp right now because of surgery to my dominent hand. In a cast up to my elbow so there's little I can do....I'm ready to kick it all to the curb. VENTING!!!!

Oh and how can I forget that my SKIMMER IS BUSTED TOO:angry: !!!!!

Edited by Jan

8 is not bad for out of the membrane depending on what your input is. If you replaced DI resin product water should be zero. If not, you may not have it packed in tight and it is channelling.

The nitrates, phosphates, and algae are all related with the nitrates and phosphates causing the HA; the HA die-off releasing nitrates back into the tank (nitrates that started with feeding of course). It's frustrating, but will improve rapidly once you begin to get a handle on things.

The high TDS after replacing all filter media is another matter. I mentioned that even new RO membranes can be defective and suggested that you check TDS from your RO output after changing the membrane. Even if the new membrane was bad though, the DI resin should have mopped up the impurities and left you with 0 TDS. I think the next step would be to verify that your TDS meter is functioning properly. Can you cross check it with another TDS meter from someone close by?

(edited)

Thanks everyone. I'm going to replace batteries in meter and see if that's the problem. Then I'll check with somone elses.

Vadim - I'm in Falls church. Thank you so much! I'll let you know after I get a handle of the filtered water. If I need mix I'll give you some salt and a my containers so you don't use your supplies.

Edited by Jan

Thank you so very much! I'll get water from folks nearby...you're not nearby anymore :sad: . I wont be able to fit G3 in my sump, but somone else is lending me a skimmer until I get a new pump. Searching for the best deal right now. You're a gem. Thank you.

If you need me to make saltwater and bring it down for a large water change let me know.

I have an ASM G3 you can use if it fits under your stand.

this sounds very familiar. do you have a chloramine block on your RODI unit? last time I lived in FC, we had fairfax county water, which runs chloramines. you might have run into the same issues I ran into a while back. wrecked all my tanks.

My RO/DI unit filters out chloramines. I've not had problems with marine fish dyng form chlorimines in the water. My husband had problems with his betas dying from chloramine in the water even after using dechlorinators. They never worked on cloramine.

I was wondering what effect these storms may have had on the quality of our water.

Then it sounds like your problem is probably something else, but if your DI resin is changing colors quickly or the resin is expiring abnormally quickly, then I'd say the membrane is probably your problem. Aside from that:

-- the pH could also be causing some increased nitrates with critters being sick and begining to die off which could be your HA problem.

-- also, with a HA outbreak, check your pumps for flow. They might not be performing up to par.

As for water quality, I'd imagine the exessive rains would only fill our reservoirs up, probably giving us better water than what we get when we are in a drought; scraping the bottom of the barrel vs getting the cream, so to speak...

And unless specified on the product, I wouldn't think a dechlorinator would work on chloramines. Chlorine and Chloramine are different ions and the later is much more difficult to break down.

hypertech, you got pm.

Don't get yourself discouraged into giving up! Having WAMAS members for support makes such a big difference!

I am in Vienna, and off tomorrow. Maybe I could drop by with some water, I have a BRS chloramine specific dual DI setup. So I get 0TDS. If your free, would 15-20 gallons work?

Where are you these days, Jan? I have visions of two recent surgery patients standing around venting over fish tanks!! I was just asking myself if I think I am capable of changing my filters... :)

bob

Jan Im not too far from you (just over by chain bridge in arlington) and could make up some water as well

I have a coralife 65 or 125 skimmer sitting in the garage with a pump you could use as long as you need, also have an extra sedra pump from my asmG3 if you need to borrow it, and until i upgrade have a brand new sicce and avast cs1 you could borrow.

Let me know.

Bob!!!! LOL. Are you around today or tomorrow? Check your PM

Where are you these days, Jan? I have visions of two recent surgery patients standing around venting over fish tanks!! I was just asking myself if I think I am capable of changing my filters... :)

bob

Bob!!!! LOL. Are you around today or tomorrow? Check your PM

bob

Yes, this would be great. Thank you. I'll be in and out all day but should be back around 3:30-4pm is that too late? LMK. thank you so much.

J

I am in Vienna, and off tomorrow. Maybe I could drop by with some water, I have a BRS chloramine specific dual DI setup. So I get 0TDS. If your free, would 15-20 gallons work?

Thanks for all the offers to help. You guys are really amazing. I'm very thankful for knowing you and for being a part of WAMAS.

J

Thank you. I think I've got enough water and I'm picking up a skimmer today. I really appriciate your offer.

Jan Im not too far from you (just over by chain bridge in arlington) and could make up some water as well

I have a coralife 65 or 125 skimmer sitting in the garage with a pump you could use as long as you need, also have an extra sedra pump from my asmG3 if you need to borrow it, and until i upgrade have a brand new sicce and avast cs1 you could borrow.

Let me know.