Have to temporarily move one or both 24 gallon tanks

Hilary

Ugh. It turns out that our little earthquake probably is responsibile for some damage I had to my roof, which resulted in damage to my ceiling and one wall. Of course, it's the wall against which I have two 24 gallon tanks, which I need to move before the contractor shows up on Wednesday to start the repairs (and then move back Friday when they are done). The seahorse tank will probably just be a PIA - it's not that pretty, and shouldn't be affected too much by the move. But the other tank is my pretty little 24, which is full of nano-sized critters and healthy coral, which I REALLY don't want to dismantle.

Whine...............................................

I do not know if you have any help but maybe you can drain the tank quickly and move it carefully. Once it is in the place that you like fill it back up. A 24 gallon tank should not be that heavy even with live rock. I know this is risky but probably the quickest and easiest way to move the tank without destroying you rock work.

Sorry, Hilary. That is a very pretty nano. Can you just move from one side of the room to the other or do you have to move from upstairs down?

I'm hoping just from one end of the room to the other. Of course, I didn't think the contractor would be able to get to me so quickly so thought I'd have more time to plan this out.

Sorry to hear about your basement, Jan - that drain that doesn't drain is SUCH a pain!

Collegeman, you're describing exactly what I'd like to do. I'm just not sure that I can do it without knocking the rockwork around and smooshing the little guys that I probably won't be able to catch.

Hi Hilary - Do you have hardwood or laminant floors? I had felt pads on the bottom of my 34g solana stand. I drained 1/2 of the water and was able to slide the tank from one wall to another. You may be able to do that as well......just lift up one side a little bit to get some felt pads under it and repeat with the other side. Just a thought.

Yea! The contractor left the tanks in place and worked around them. He left the remaining paint, so when the day comes that I move or take down the tanks (probably when I bite the bullet and redo the floors) I can paint the walls behind them. Woo hoo!

Chad and Chip, I didn't see your posta until just now - thank you so much for the offers! I'll be sure to call when it's time to redo the floors! :biggrin: And thanks everybody for the advice!

That's great! Tank moves are such a PITA... I stressed out over mine last year when I moved it 6 inches!!!