Who has DIY LEDs

Chad

As some of y'all may know, I have a background DIY LED project going... Like many others, I only purchased RB and CW. However, with all of the recent talk (and reasonable evidence) that this might not be the best idea (and I have always been a little worried about the color since I generally prefer a warmer color anyway).

Anyway, I currently plan on a mix something like:

RB - 33%

B - 22%

CW - 24%

NW - 11%

WW - 11%

Anyone have something close to this that I could come and see?

Chad,

This site is Japanese, but the tool will really appeal to your inner engineer. It let's you model the spectrum of your finished fixture as you add and subtract different LEDs.

http://www.1023world.net/diy/spectra/

I am adding high CRI warm white XPGs and some green. That dramatically smooths out the spectrum. CW, Blues, and RBs. All put their light in a vary tight peak. I thought Ecotech had gone crazy with their LED selection on the new fixture until I saw data. I bet nobody will be using CW 5 years from now. RB + WW gives a much more sensible curve. If you like a 20k look it is easy to add more RB.

I am glad I was able to stir things up on RC. If you think the thread is disturbing, you should see the PMs I have been getting. Some big names have contacted me to validate the issue. Many many people have been having problems. Nobody wants to admit it.

I guess if we are capable of going to war based on group-think, I guess this shouldn't be a shock.

I love data,

Bill

I have a DIY set up with 10 XP-E Cool White, 14 XP-E Royal Blue and 9 XR-E Regular Blue. You are more than welcome to come and take a look.

Cool, thanks, I am not sure when I will be out that way next (may be in two weeks).

Chad,

This site is Japanese, but the tool will really appeal to your inner engineer. It let's you model the spectrum of your finished fixture as you add and subtract different LEDs.

I am adding high CRI warm white XPGs and some green. That dramatically smooths out the spectrum. CW, Blues, and RBs. All put their light in a vary tight peak. I thought Ecotech had gone crazy with their LED selection on the new fixture until I saw data. I bet nobody will be using CW 5 years from now. RB + WW gives a much more sensible curve. If you like a 20k look it is easy to add more RB.

I am glad I was able to stir things up on RC. If you think the thread is disturbing, you should see the PMs I have been getting. Some big names have contacted me to validate the issue. Many many people have been having problems. Nobody wants to admit it.

I guess if we are capable of going to war based on group-think, I guess this shouldn't be a shock.

I love data,

Bill

That site sounds awesome, but the link is not working for me, could you check it please? I am also glad that you stirred things up a bit... timing couldn't have been better for me.

Bill,

Any reason you picked warm whites over neutral whites?

Jim

Chad,

I love data,

Bill

Take a look at the Cree spec sheet for XPGs. There is not much difference with cool vs neutral, but a big shift with warm.

Warm white does not have that blue spike that duplicates the spike in RB and Blue. I think part of the problem is the way traditional LED combos all pound on the same peaks +- 20nm

I have seen 50/50 CW/RB fixtures... that is what I based my planned split on... I am more curious about the addition of some of these other colors.

Bill, I figured it out... the Japanese site doesn't work in Firefox for me, but it works in IE. Cool site, thanks!

My DIY retrofit has 10 NW's, 17RB's, and 3 CB's. I started with 20 RB's and 10 NW's, but added the 3 CB's for extra pop for red/pink/orange corals. I've been very pleased with it. You're welcome to come take a look if you want. I spent a lot of time researching/tweaking plans, so I have some trial and error experience that might be helpful in planning your build.

I think Bill is spot on about smoothing out the spectrum, and I have been thinking about replacing a few more LEDs with the colors he talks about. The peaks in RB and whites are very tight and unforgiving in my opinion.

Guest thefishman65

I have CW and and RB in a 50/50 arrangement, but they are older XR-Es. You are welcome to come look.

Old Reefer, just to be sure could you post a link to the RC thread you mentioned above? I am probably already following it. Thanks

That works for me, although if another evening works better, I can do pretty much any night Wed-Fri or so.

Thanks!

Hey, Stu.

Thanks for showing me your setup last night. Awesome tank and very clean build! I appreciate it.

Hey, Stu.

Thanks for showing me your setup last night. Awesome tank and very clean build! I appreciate it.

No problem and thanks for the compliments. I enjoyed chatting with you about your build, and looking forward to seeing the finished product!