Maybe Taking A Break

jtro

Seriously thinking about taking a break from the hobby.If you have left the hobby what made you do it?Im not 100% sure but I think its time to take a break.

I took a break for a long military deployment. It wasn't long after returning that the need to setup a tank hit. If you don't need the money and have the space I would keep the equipment until you are really sure you will not return.

I haven't gone out before, but came a few hairs away from it. I lost my focus on my tank enthusiasm and the plans I had made for it, because everyday life and stress were constantly overshadowing everything. One day I suddenly realized what bad shape my tank was in, like I woke up. I loved my fish (had no corals) and did not want to give them up, but I didn't want them to suffer either. So I told myself that I either needed to dive in immediately or give up the tank. It was not an easy decision to make. I started doing internet research to learn new things, to see if I could get my enthusiasm back. I was learning a lot that I didn't know just going on my own with books and store clerks, and after about a month I decided that I would be crazy to give my tank up. Bought new stuff, overhauled my tank, and here I am.

Decide whether or not your tank is worth the time it takes to renew your enthusiasm. If it is, make new tank goals and enough of an investment into starting to do it (be it time, effort, mental work, and/or money) that you don;t want to throw those efforts away. At that point, the investment of those things will force a renewed enthusiasm.

Edit to add: Ask a bunch of members with awesome setups to let you come visit and do tank talk - maybe the tank envy will be plenty of a kick in the butt.

Edited by treesprite

I have a pretty nice setup.Just seem to be losing my drive and noticing it on the slight neglect I'm giving the tanks.Some pumps are going bad and a few other things with the tank and just questioning the departure for awhile not sure I would sell me equipment but I would the tanks and livestock I think.

Got into the Biz.

I really have not quit, but it leaves you looking for a new hobby... something to do for fun when work is done.

On the upside, I like my work more !