re-sealing

yagerboy

I am planning on re-sealing my tank although they currently do not leak. Can I silicone over the existing seal, or does it not adhere properly? I will not do it if I have to remove current sealant Also, in the past i used surgical gloves and finger to make the seal and was told to either dip my finger in water or rubbing alcohol. Can anyone tell me which? Can't remember - Thnx

You should remove the existing sealant and I didn't use anything to make the bead (expect a paper towel) and then I used the alcohol to clean the silicon off my hands.

I have re-sealed tanks, not just when the glass is already together, but also when the glass is completely taken apart. My instructions would be: strip off the old silicone making sure there is not even a shadow of it left, clean the area with alcohol. Use masking tape to keep a straight, clean line on either side of the seam (it is very important that you pull the tape off before the silicone starts to set). Use your finger to smooth the silicone into the seam, go over it two or three times like that to make sure it's in there real good (I go down the seam, then go back to get the excess on the edges back in the center, then go down the seam again).

I am planning on re-sealing my tank although they currently do not leak.

Why? Sounds like you'll do more harm than good...

Why? Sounds like you'll do more harm than good...

Silicone can start looking crappy after a while. The edges can get jagged from cleaning the glass, sometimes edges of the silicone are loose and algae grows under them. The silicone can get stuff growing on it that is unattractive. The first thing I did when I got my current tank, was to strip off all the old silicone and re-do it.

Have you ever tried to take a tank apart? Believe me, it is not at all easy when a tank is well made (if it isn't, be glad you took it apart before it came apart with all those gallons of water in it). The glass is sealed together by the edges; it takes a considerable amount of work using a razor blade under pressure and wiggling to get the pieces apart, and it isn't exactly the safest task handling razor blades that way (believe me). Simply taking off the silicone on the flat surfaces of the glass and replacing it, without taking the glass pieces apart, is not going to do any harm. The seal between the edges of the pieces holds them together, the silicone down the seam sort of braces the 2 pieces together and ensures that there are no leaks in the event that there is a bobble in the seal between the edges.

I have taken tanks apart, re-done the silicone with the pieces still sealed together, completely taken out the back panel of glass from a 65g tank and replaced it (then used the tank with no problem), installed full-sized false backs for in-tank sump/fuges, and installed 4-foot glass overflows with front and bottom pieces of glass. It's not hard to do, just time-consuming and sometimes messy.

What is scary is finding out that the 75g tank you had full of water was made so poorly that you could take it apart in less than half an hour - I was lucky I broke the upper corner of my old 75g tank, because if I hadn't, I'd have found out the hard way. The 20g I took apart a few months ago was so well put together that it took me over an hour to do it. I do wish I had known the maker of that old 75g... I don't want to buy another tank from that manufacturer.

Something that says it's safe for aquariums.