Cold Water Reef Tank

Mando77

Does anyone in WAMAS have one of these? I was thinking about turning my Biocube into one when I upgrade to a large tank. I just wanted to know how and where you could get livestock. It could be really neat and different.

Daniel had one, not sure if its still up. I think he went out and got a lot of his things from the ocean (i think).. It was really cool, look through previous TOTMs, its in there.

I am also pretty sure that Hilary has a small cool water tank, another POC to check.

We had ours until we lost power last summer and the tank cooked.

A lot of our livestock came from Divers Den and a friend we had that lived in Oregon and would collect and send us stuff.

Gulf of Maine sells cold water items. If I remember correctly the items found locally are used to warmer temperatures and are not suitable for a cold water aquarium.

We kept the tank at 55 degrees.

Also, I wouldn't recommend using the biocube because the glass is too thin and will cause a sweating problem in the summer. 1/2" to 1" acrylic is recommended to cut down on sweating.

Here is an interesting and very informative website on Cold Water Reefs. This guy seems to know what he is doing. His tanks look pristine and colorful! Maybe I should start a CW tank.

Oregon Reef