Possible tank pests?

04svtfoci

Hi All,

I am at work currently so i can not provide pictures, but i will give a brief description of my set up i have a 55gallon tank, with a seaclone 100 skimmer, and a marineland emperor 400 filter. 3 hydor power heads, 40lbs of black reef sand and 65 lbs of fiji live rock purchsed from a fellow wamas member. The rock is awesome i have had it for about 4 months now, and my tank is very stable with a cleaner crew and a coral shrimp. My coraline is spreading all over the place and my shrimp has molted twice in under two months. But the main reason i am posting is for possible pests, as i am pretty new to the hobby i am not sure what they are. I have allot of pods living in my rock but i noticed on the back glass of my tank is a ton of small white bugs/inverts of some sorts about 1/4 to 1/3 the size of a grain of rice and there is alot of them. They do not seem to be doing any harm, i actually witnessed two of them fighting a week ago they have small pinchers and they locked up and boxed i was very entertained. Also i have noticed some snails that almost look like a ground slugs that you pour salt on as a kid. They are white, but have a very low body conforming light purple to dark purple carapace/shell. They are not part of the cleaner crew so i can only assume that after my tanked fully cycled they hatched or came out of the rock, there are quite a few of them from small 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. I will try to find my camera when i get home but just wondered if by description someone might know what they are and if they were harmful for my tank.

thanks in advance.

TJ

Some photos i had on facebook from the first week of set up.

242750_1895066068994_1611849844_1941438_6087931_o.jpg

242026_1895070469104_1611849844_1941441_1977996_o.jpg

243543_1895071749136_1611849844_1941443_3339729_o.jpg

244036_1895075149221_1611849844_1941456_2320617_o.jpg

Edited by 04svtfoci

The photos i posted were from a week after i set up the tank, i just wanted to show the basic set up of it i forgot i had those 4 photos on my photobucket account. I will post the pictures of the creatures in question when i get home this evening.

I agree, they could be amphipods based off of your description.

The slug like creatures are more than likely stomatella snails. Which can be a nice addition to your clean up crew

I just looked up the stomatella snail, and that is what i have. That makes me happy to know i dont have to try to remove them as there are many. Thanks for the info, i will try for a pic of the pod like one when i get home.

The small things you discribed could be flat worms, I had them in my tank, but went away after a few months. They are small, around 1 or 2 millimeters, usually white/clear in color, and bell shaped. they will go away on their own, nothing to worry about.

(edited)

i tried, but my camera didnt want to focus on something that small, i did acclimate and add 2 damsel fish last night and they went nuts on the tiny pods. I will put the picture i took below but i dont think anyone will be able to tell much as they are so small and the picture would not come very clear. I circled an area where they are, the larger round white circle i assume is being left on my glass by one of my snails as they appear frequently and in small clusters.

tankpest.jpg

Edited by 04svtfoci