Re-cycle dehumidifier water... why not?

Larry Grenier

I bet that if you took a sample of your dehumidifier water and analyzed, you'd find all sorts of fungus, mold, bacteria, and airborn household chemicalas. I expect that the dehumidifier concentrates these nasties in the water. I would not put that water back into my tank.

A better idea: If you really want to recycle, you could keep a jug of the dehumidifier water near the toilet and use it to fill the toilet tank after you flush.

I always thought the problem was that the water is condensed against copper tubing .. and therefore would leech copper into your reef .. NOT good for corals

(edited)

Based on my research so far... SOME de-humidifiers are known to leech copper into the water. Another potential problem is the resivoir becoming contaminated with fungus or whatever may be lurking in your basement. The output of SOME dehumidifiers is clear, clean DI water. I'll bet my cheapo de-humidifier on wheels is not one of the nice ones that produces nice DI water. I pull about a gallon-a-day out of the air in my basement during the summer.

Edited by Larry Grenier