Braden's 275 gallon total system volume build

(edited)

Hey all;

After being out of the hobby for a few years due to fluctuations in my life, I decided to jump back into it full force. I had decided to do another tank build but I was very particular about what kind of space that I wanted to use. I've started new tanks against a wall and once built a wall around a 300 gallon tank for my first impromptu fish room. With the purchase of a new home on the horizon, it was the perfect oppurtunity to find such a space that had all of my needs with small conformities to be made along the way. Just after closing I setup a small 45 gallon tank that would eventually be incorporated into my larger system as my frag grow-out tank. I fully intended for that tank to stay pretty spartan but it didn't last that way for long.

DSCN0068.jpg

DSCN0069.jpg

DSCN0070.jpg

DSCN0072.jpg

DSCN0074.jpg

DSCN0075.jpg

DSCN0076.jpg

DSCN0077.jpg

DSCN0081.jpg

Edited by Swimboy123

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had originally planned to put a different tank in that position but due to some faulty logic on my part it wasn't going to fit. There is a recess behind the drywall on the left, but thanks to Howardofnova, he quickly put me back on the right path.

DSCN0520.jpg

DSCN0521.jpg

DSCN0470.jpg

During the next phase, I changed out the existing sump that I had and replaced it with a custom made MRC HiFlow sump that I picked up from a fellow hobbyist that was breaking down multiple tanks. I also changed out my previous tank with a new 150 gallon display that I picked up from the same member. During the breakdown of those member's tanks, I made my first contact with some of the people from WAMAS and was very happy that I did. I think all can agree that there is a certain esprit de corps with the members of this club.

As my sump was coming together, I came across another deal that I really couldn't afford (or want) to pass up. I picked up this little guy and he had the illustrious honor of calling my built-in refugium a home for a couple of months. And by home, I really mean studio apartment.....

DSCN0594.jpg

DSCN0597.jpg

DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0601.jpg

The next portion of my project was to build a stand that would eventually be placed flush with the wall to either side. Once the build is complete the drywall can be attached directly to the stand with standard screws. One of the things that I really wanted to present with this tank was a "picture" of the reef in every sense of the word. The front of the display tank will only be about 1/2" from being flush and I plan on putting trim around the opening to simulate a frame.

Back to the frame, I kicked around a bunch of ideas of how to do it. I have never built much out of wood before but I do have a fair bit of mechanical aptitude. After a bit of research and looking at other members stands, I went ahead and just started building it.

DSCN0602.jpg

DSCN0603.jpg

DSCN0604.jpg

At this point in the process I have a good bit of electrical work to do. On my last 300 gallon reef, my entire system was on the same 15 amp circuit as the stove and dishwasher. If my halides were on as well as the dishwasher and the stove, it popped the breaker and really annoyed me and made my carpet wet. On this build, I installed a new 20 amp circuit dedicated solely for the fish room.

I'm running everything through an 1100 joule surge suppressor. Downstream of that there is a 6 ft and 8 ft powerstrip running down the length of the room. I mounted these about 4-6 feet above my sump to mitigate any drips or drops shorting out my equipment. It also keeps everything off of the floor so i'm not kicking it around or stumbling on it.

After researching a few different reef systems, I decided to add a Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Elite. I like the auto topoff, switching outlets, graphing capabilites, and the internet access that it provides. It's a nice thing to be stuck at work and be able to monitor what is happening at home. Big Brother is always watching!

DSCN0613.jpg

I also had a lot of existing wiring that was running through the wall. As my wife was adament that nothing else in the house was to be shut off for an extended period of time, I had to ensure that all systems were still operational

As long as you are building, you might want to put the system on two circuits. That way if one blows for some reason, the whole system doesn't go down. For example, put the return on one circuit and the powerheads on the other.

The tank is going on the stand in the wall, right? Also, my advice is when you are still building/designing this, make sure to give yourself a lot of space to work around in the fish-room. It can get pretty stuffy in there pretty quick...

Can't wait to see the progress! Tagging along!

I thought about doing a dual feed circuit but I decided against it. As of right now, my total load will be about 9 amps on a 20 amp circuit. If it does blow then I will probably have much bigger problems (power surge, leaking, zombie apocalypse) to worry about. But I understand your point of view and most times I would agree with you!

Thanks for the posts Hypertech and Reefoholic. The dimensions of the fish room room are about 6' by 12' with the sump about 4' back on the side. I have more of a hallway/aisle to walk in but it is large enough for a ladder, step-stool, buckets, and a few sets of shelves. I can't put recliner in there or anything, (If i could get a couch and a fridge back there I would probably never come out) but I think that I have pretty adequate space. What I've really been noticing lately is the air ducts at the top of the room. And by noticing, I mean banging my head.

a couch and a fridge in the fish-room... maybe a TV... that's a dangerous game my friend!

I dunno about you but I would never come out of that room! Hahah lol2.gif

I saw the setup and it is amazing. Thanks for al the advice and help. One day I want to grow up just like you and have a setup just like you. No jokes the setup is awesome. One day I will take up on your offer to do the plumbing for my tiny tank. I love your setup.

Nice progress so far!

I think this is very close to what most of us have in mind when we think about the setup we all eventually want to have!

I thought about doing a dual feed circuit but I decided against it. As of right now, my total load will be about 9 amps on a 20 amp circuit. If it does blow then I will probably have much bigger problems (power surge, leaking, zombie apocalypse) to worry about. But I understand your point of view and most times I would agree with you!

The idea isn't that you overload it, but say a heater flakes out and shorts and trips the breaker.

I saw the setup and it is amazing. Thanks for al the advice and help. One day I want to grow up just like you and have a setup just like you. No jokes the setup is awesome. One day I will take up on your offer to do the plumbing for my tiny tank. I love your setup.

Thanks for the compliment Ric!

So after I got the majority of the electrical done it was time to place my new display tank into position. I need to express a big thank to Truestelf and Epleeds for helping me to get that sucker up there. I moved up to the DC Metro area a little while ago and had been into reefing a good number of years before that. I didn't have the community of fellow hobbyists there anywhere close to what is here. I have to say that I am very impressed and thankful to WAMAS for the quality of it's members. Whether it's information or strong arm, people are always willing to help each other.

After the tank was in place, the plumbing was next. I purchased to WAV Makers from Bbyatv and Coralhind was nice enough to lend me his 150 gallon stock tank for my water. I knew that I wanted to have a ton of flow in this tank. One thing that I have always envisioned for this is a reef crest type tank with anthias and chromis. Now I know that there are too many large squamosa clams on a reef crest but I'm God of this little world! tongue.gif I purchased flow acclerators/eductors from aquacave and the main return pump is a Reeflo Dart. I contemplated a Reeflo Barracuda but I want to see how this one does first before I get too crazy.DSCN0790.jpg

DSCN0791.jpg

DSCN0792.jpg

DSCN1682.jpg

DSCN1683.jpgDSCN1684.jpg

So here is where a stressfull situation comes into play. I mentioned earlier that I had gotten a great sump and that it was currently in use. The problem that I had was that it wasn't drilled. I wanted a gravity feed return pump. So after getting some sage advice, I took the plunge and started drilling. I had learned it was better to measure twice and cut once. I measured about twenty times!

DSCN1691.jpg

DSCN1692.jpg

DSCN1695.jpg

Victory!!

DSCN1697.jpg

not sure if you thought of it, but what about air circulation? going to get pretty stuffy in there. From the pics it looks like you did paint some of the ducts, but the will rust if you did not.

looks great, and good luck

Return Pump plumbing. I wanted to incorporate an additional iwaki MD 55RLT either for extra flow or just for S and G's. Utilizing the true union ith ball valves will allow me to take my return and supplementary for routine maintenance. The Iwaki has a 1" input/output and the dart has a 2" input with a 1.5" output.

DSCN1698.jpg

DSCN1699.jpg

DSCN1700.jpg

DSCN1701.jpg

not sure if you thought of it, but what about air circulation? going to get pretty stuffy in there. From the pics it looks like you did paint some of the ducts, but the will rust if you did not.

looks great, and good luck

There is an air register in there and a return to the air handler is about 8 ft from the room. Hope it works!