Wandering Xenia

FearTheTerps

New to the novelty coral market, Wandering Xenia.

Some how some of my pulsing xenia got stuck to the back of one of my dwarf ceriths snails. The frag is slowing getting bigger and bigger, dont know whether I should be worried for the snail, he seems to be getting around the tank fairly well for the moment, plus its pretty darn cool. I saw him in my tank the other week but couldnt get a good picture of him because of where it was in the tank. Now I found him out near the front of the glass, but my batteries are dead in the good camera, iphone pics will have to do.

You can't really see where the coral is attached to the snail, but you can see from the 2 pics that its slowing moving around. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to get a good macro shot with my good camera.

wanderingxenia1.jpg

wanderingxenia2.jpg

New to the novelty coral market, Wandering Xenia.

Some how some of my pulsing xenia got stuck to the back of one of my dwarf ceriths snails...You can't really see where the coral is attached to the snail, but you can see from the 2 pics that its slowing moving around. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to get a good macro shot with my good camera.

Slightly less "voluntary," on three occasions our blue tuxedo urchin has "collected" pieces of xenia to carry around, on one occasion for at least a month. How happy the xenia was seems to have varied, according to what we don't know.

:) Awesome!

I remember one time down at Sea Save before I got thrown out for asking the price of something, the guy there showed me a big snail or possibly it was a hermit that had a decent sized chunk of kenya tree on it. It was pretty amusing.

(edited)

Yup, be weary of using empty shells as frag disks...your frags may wander :)

Edited by John

Yup, be weary of using empty shells as frag disks...your frags may wander :)

I have used beds of shells to let my kenya trees attatch to something mobile. Ive not seen any of my kenya tree roam yet...maybe I should keep an eye on it lol! :blink:

This is on a living snail, not just the shell with a hermit. I have no idea how the Xenia attached with the snail moving around. Usually it takes a few days for a frag of xenia to attach to a plug or something.

Awesome! I wonder if this is a new fashion trend in the SaltWater world!

"Wear your Xenia to work day!"

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a better picture. Found him on the back glass today, I guess the xenia liked the flow back there better, the polyps were extended and pulsing, pretty cool to watch. I also found another one, the pic is bad because I havent cleaned the glass in awhile :blush:

DSC00783.jpg

DSC00778.jpg

I've got tons of dwarf snails as you can see.