Roozen Nursery

Mando77

So I was looking at the LFS map. I like to go and try new stores once in a while so I went out to Roozen Nursery. This was an eye opener. Id like to think of it as a cross between a B horror movie and an aquarium store. I walked in and didn't even know where to go. I saw gardening supplies with saltwater aquariums supplies? You had to walk through a empty room full of junk and you had to wonder what in the world you were doing. I don't even know how to describe the store. Completely shocked. The weird thing is they had about a dozen sharks? I have never in my life seen anything like that before. They did have some very nice fish, but the tanks looked like they have never been cleaned. I wanted to warn WAMAS members about this place. It was very very very very different.

haha, here we go again!

Some love it, some hate it. It is an interesting place, that is for sure.

Definitely check out the previous threads on Roozens. It's a great store and they move a ton of volume with a large wholesale business. It is, however, bare bones. QT is a must and they do run copper in most of their tanks.

As many have concluded previously, Roozens is a store for Advanced people - definitely not for the beginner. You must be picky when you go there but you'll see things you won't find at any other LFS.

I agree with everything brian said. You have to know what you are looking for and how it shouod look. They do have the most rare and unique fish. I honestly love going their because it is like treasure hunting. You never know what you can find. QT is a must.

Roozens is like bizarro-world as far as fish stores go. That said, I love the place because Jos can and does get any and every kind of fish in. I remember last year when I was there he had no less than 15 Hawaiian flame wrasses in at one time, and something like 8 blue spotted jawfish. While customer service is minimal at best, Jos actually does know quite a bit about care of the different species they get in, and gives some good anecdotal advice if it's not too busy and he's feeling in a good mood.

Collegeman and Brian are right--it's probably a terrible store for a beginner, but if you go in there knowing what you are looking for, it can be great. A few months ago, I went in looking for a nice fairy wrasse of some kind, and Roozens had at least 8 different species--all well fed and healthy specimens.

Personally, I try to do my research on livestock before going into the store so I know what is compatible, and what to look for. Roozens usually fits the bill if I know what I'm after.

I actually love Roozens. I find the place prototypically dutch. if you've spent any time in the Netherlands you know they are not the most service oriented culture in the world. Having said that, as stated above, it would seem that he has better access to unusual livestock than is commonly seen in this area. On top of that, the livestock quality is excellent and prices are reasonable. I have never personally experienced a case of ich from livestock purchased at Roozens.

• 4 weeks later...

I went there a while back. They were still selling leopard sharks. Its usually just a plant nursery in the winter months but once the weather gets better they fill the tanks. They have a sister store here is Silver Spring that only sells plants. Tanks are dirty but they do have alot of rare stuff and tons of LR.