Red and Green cyano but zero Trates

sen5241b

How can I have Red and Green cyano growing all over my 20G long tank but phosphates and nitrates test for zero? It has 2 clowns, 1 tail spot blenny, a small green clown goby and a shrimp. This tank is 2 years old and never had trate problems until a few months ago they started and then got worse and worse.

Here's a paragraph from an article I read recently....

"One final interesting note is that because slime algae consume nitrates, often when aquarists perform nitrate tests, the readings come up as normal. Don't be deceived. If you were to remove the algae temporarily before putting into action any of the above solutions, in all likelihood you will see a rise in the nitrate levels in the aquarium. It's like a Catch 22. The nitrates have actually been there all along, but unreadable as the algae is feeding on it, therefore the nitrates appear to be in check. This applies to many other forms of algae as well!"

The full article is here.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diatomandslimemicroalgae/a/redslimealgae_2.htm

(edited)

Very old. I keep hearing that old bulbs alone can cause alage growth.

Yes they can. I would replace your bulbs.

Edited by rocko918

the typical easy fixes are:

install or increase fuge capacity

increase or redirect flow

feed tank less often, fish except the most demanding eaters only need to be fed every other day at most in an established tank

change out old bulbs

increase cleaner crew even if certian hermits will or won't eat slim algae and cyano, their walking across the rocks will dislodge algae putting it into the water column allowing for mechincal filtration to remove it

Lights.

Lights +1

Cut back on feeding +1

Also, I would try to clean it by hand as much as possible...