Clam help

I have a clam that is attached either to the glass bottom of my tank, the sheet of eggcrate on top of it under a 3" bed of sand or both. I will be downsizing my tank and I don't know how to get my clam to let go so I can move him. Anyone have any advice or a how-to? Any help is much appreciated :)

If you rip the byssal gland by tugging on the clam without the byssal fibers releasing, the clam will likely die. You need to razor through the fibers (preferably down close to the rock, crate, or glass - or whatever they're attached to) without putting too much tension on them.

I disagree with audible. The clam has attached it's byssal threads to the substrate to anchor itself. If you twist it, you can actually tear the flesh of the clam itself and set it up for an infection. In a contained system, an infection is much more likely to kill the clam.

A better way to dislodge the clam is to get a a new razor blade and cut the byssal threads as far from the clam and and as close to the subsrate as possible. The threads will retract over time and you'll have a much healthier clam

Both methods work and require care to be taken so that nothing is "torn". If the clam is only attached to glass as you mentioned, you shouldn't have much difficulty and you'll find it will let go pretty easily. I'm not saying grab the clam and twist it as hard as you can... Lol.

Although I can easily see some wamaser's doing something like that.

He is what I do and it is similar to what has already been mentioned. First lean the clam over to one side. Take your finger and swept or poke around under the clam. This poking will cause the clam to retract the foot, which looks kind of like tongue, back inside it. Then with a razor cut the strands where they attach to the rock as was mentioned above. Sometimes just using your fingernail is enough and the razor blade is not needed. The strands that are cut will later be released but the clam so don't freak out if you see a mass of white stuff near the clam. The strands resemble fine tendons on a chicken drumstick to me.

(edited)

I would first find out if he is just attached to the egg crate. Try lifting it gently after you get the rock/sand off of it. If it gives easily, he is just attached to it.

If he is just attached to the egg crate, just cut a circle of eggcrate around the clam and leave him attached to it.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay