AquaController Bus Protocol

Brian Ward

Has anyone reverse engineered the protocol used on the phone wire to connect the AC3 to the DC4 or DC8? I'm hoping to use this as an input to my LED controller(s) but I need to know what signals to read.

Brian, given that the ACIII can also talk to X-10 devices through a hardwire interface, I'd start my search there.

Why not just use the 0-10V output? It would be a lot easier. You could also essentially send different commands to your LED using different voltage levels, etc.

Why not just use the 0-10V output? It would be a lot easier. You could also essentially send different commands to your LED using different voltage levels, etc.

OK, both of these are options. I think the arduino even has a library for X-10.

Where is the 0-10V output on the AC3?

It is my understanding that you should only use a RJ45 cable plugged into the variable speed port for dimming options. If would be worried about ruining your controller if wired another way. I don't know exactly how the AC3 and DC8 works, but I have my Apex hooked up with a RJ45 through the variable speed port and it works like a dream. I have a sunrise/sunset that takes 3 hours each and then cloud movement and moonlights with my 3 string of lights that is on my 3rd variable speed port. Very easy to program and connect.

Yes, the Apex supports dimming but the AC3 does not. I'm building controllers into my fixtures and need to supply digital signals to the controllers which will translate the signals and generate the appropriate PWM signal to the CAT4101 chips to provide for dimming.

Thats sounds tough and it stinks you can't connect a VDM module. Hope you find a way to make it work. I would call neptune, they are usually pretty helpful. It does take some time planning, building and programing any LED set up. But its so worth it!!

Brian, I think this might be the simplest option.

Run the 10Vdc out from the ACIII through two equivalent resistors (to turn the 10Vdc drop into a 5Vdc drop). Tap an analog input from your arduinos between the two resistors, tell the arduino to map the analog input to the equivalent digital PWM duty cycle output, and voila, LEDs dim with your ACIII.

Brian, I think this might be the simplest option.

Run the 10Vdc out from the ACIII through two equivalent resistors (to turn the 10Vdc drop into a 5Vdc drop). Tap an analog input from your arduinos between the two resistors, tell the arduino to map the analog input to the equivalent digital PWM duty cycle output, and voila, LEDs dim with your ACIII.

How many of these does the AC3 have? I need at least 8. Which plug has the 10V output, I don't remember seeing this?

The ACIII has a variable speed pump module that may or may not be able to be used for dimming.

I did read about the AquaSurf being successfully used for dimming. I'd rather avoid it if possible. My initial thought was to connect the 4 lines in the phone cord to the Arduino and address it like a DC8. A quick read makes me think that it may send X10 signals over these lines. I'll have to read deeper on how to do this.

I don't know much of anything about ACIII, can you use the VDM module on the ACIII? This seems the far simplest option if available.

I will look at X10 and see what I can find out... I have a pretty decent reference for stuff like that at home.

On the X-10 side, the reference I have (arduino cookbook) didn't include x-10, however, I did find some stuff on their website.

Here is some info on how the x-10 works from a digital standpoint... should be useful: http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/feb99/articles/kingery/kingery13.htm

Here is some info on how to receive x-10 signals with the arduino: http://www.arduino.cc/playground/X10/ReceiveX10