Keeping the bubble in Bubble Tip Anemone?

PupChow

I recently came across this thread: http://www.coralforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39761

In summary, the author is explaining that there are two methods for a BTA to get energy: light / capture food

- If there is a lot of light and not a lot of food, the anemone will bubble to increase surface area.

- If there is a lot of prey and it is well fed, it will extend it's tentacles and stop bubbling.

- A way to keep the bubble is to provide strong light and do no feed as much.

- Sometimes once the anemone changed into one mode, it cannot revert back.

Does the author's explanation falls in line with your observation?

BS, nonsense, hooey. Lots of light, never target fed, and mine bubbles sometimes, usually not, and sometimes it is half bubbled. Maybe that's why the guy has never been thanked for his posts.

Ours gets lots of light and the only food it gets is what ever it get when i feed the fish. Our RBTA goes back and forth with bubbles and then no bubbles. It has gone as long as a couple months with no bubbles and then there they are.

I have kept BTA's for 20 years and propagating them for almost ten years now. So I have had a few over the years and from my experience what was written is not accurate. I've found it to be a form of defense from being either unhappy from environmental change, from aggression, or as a means to prevent over light exposure. I have done experiments for years with the same system, two tanks on a common sump, over 50 anemones sometimes, I tried all different types of controls lighting, feeding, flow, and other things people said caused it but it normally came down to a defensive reaction. To me, a long wavy tentacle is a happy anemone.

- If there is a lot of light and not a lot of food, the anemone will bubble to increase surface area.

I don't think bubbling increases surface area. The lower part of the tentacle constricts and stays close to the pedal disc while balloning the tip. So while it may expose more light to the inflated tip tissue it is gathering less light overall with what is sometimes inches of collapsed or retracted tentacle tissue.

- Sometimes once the anemone changed into one mode, it cannot revert back.

I still have the same brown/green BTA that I got from Traveller7 back in 2000 and over the years it still goes back and forth just as lhcorals mentioned.

Low flow is the key.Every single bubbletip at our store is bubbled up 95% of the time.The other %5 ,it's either closed up or retracted because the light is off.

Low flow is the key.Every single bubbletip at our store is bubbled up 95% of the time.The other %5 ,it's either closed up or retracted because the light is off.

In a home tank long term the low flow wouldn't matter if the anemone was at a normal depth. The ones at the store are also in baskets just inches below the surface so they are getting blasted with light. It could also be in response to the fact that it is stressed from being in a new environment.