Chillers...

cbatkinson

I'm trying to decide on whether I need to add a chiller to my 120g tank. My temps tend to rise during the warmer months/days and I'm thinking about moving in that direction. Does anyone have any thoughts on what size, brands, etc... are good to consider? I'm sure one of the downsides to owning a chiller is an increase in the electric bill, but are there any others? Thanks...

IMO any time you add something, it is an increase in complexity, which could be a downside. Also, you will likely need to up your return pump a size or run a dedicated pump for the chiller.

I have had ~6 chillers in my time, my favorites have been aqualogic and teco... Aqualogic for big (say 4-500 gallons) and teco for smaller tanks (like yours). You can have a UV filter and heater installed in them if you wish (the heater makes it such that you do not need external controllers unless you want them).

I'm trying to decide on whether I need to add a chiller to my 120g tank. My temps tend to rise during the warmer months/days and I'm thinking about moving in that direction. Does anyone have any thoughts on what size, brands, etc... are good to consider? I'm sure one of the downsides to owning a chiller is an increase in the electric bill, but are there any others? Thanks...

You also have to be able to locate the chiller somewhere where it can dissipate the heat, and the heat doesn't just soak back into the tank environment. So putting it in the stand doesn't work well because the stand quickly heat sup and the heat can't move from the chiller to the stand, plus the hot air warms the water in the sump, which in turn heats the tank again. The same sort of thing can happen if you put the chiller in the room near the tank. Best IME is to put the chiller outside where it's shaded, well ventilated, and out of the elements.

If you don't already have fans to force evaporative cooling, you should try that first. I have a 125g display with 800w of MH and a bunch of T5s, and I manage temperature just fine with a couple of 4" fans. My tank is programmed to maintain 79-80 degrees, although it sometimes in summer gets up above 81 with no problems. We're don't keep the house particularly cool in summer either, and the house thermostat is usually set around 78 or 79.

+1, try fans first. If that doesn't work, then look into chillers. Only thing that annoys me about fans is the fact that you're evaporating at a higher rate.

just remember if you reply on evaporative cooling, that that evaporates has to go somewhere.

in other words, moisture moisture in the air moisture moisture everywhere.

IMO any time you add something, it is an increase in complexity, which could be a downside. Also, you will likely need to up your return pump a size or run a dedicated pump for the chiller.

I have had ~6 chillers in my time, my favorites have been aqualogic and teco +1 FOR SURE... Aqualogic for big (say 4-500 gallons) THESE ARE EASY TO REPLACE COMPONENTS ON and teco for smaller tanks (like yours). You can have a UV filter and heater installed in them if you wish (the heater makes it such that you do not need external controllers unless you want them).

Just a side note I have a TECO running my SPS system 400 or so gallons, I just slowed the flow going in, and man that water comes out as cold as i like my beer!!

Cheers

Sean