Flow Suggestions

roni

Got the 70 gallon cube running finally with 2 Tunze 6045s in the top front corners aimed 45" back and an Eheim 1250 return. While the rockwork is pretty open, I think the flow isn't quite enough (at least compared to what I've done in the past. I have a spot along the back wall of the tank that I could easily "hide" a Tunze. Wondering whether you guys would go with a 6055 (1400 gph max flow) versus a 6105 (3300 GPH max flow)?

I've got a similar dilemma with Tunzes and flow, though I'll start my own thread. ;) FWIW, I only have two 6055s in my 120, plus a 1260 return.

I think a 6105 would be overkill in a 70g cube, especially if you have sand. Are you doing mostly SPS?

Though I'm a big fan of Tunze products, a Vortech may be a better choice since the flow would be more dispersed.

(edited)

I'm going to go with the 6105 I think. They have some new 6095s coming out but I don't want to wait until Sept. The location it's at should allow decent flow without swirling my sand around too much (went with an SSB this time). Yeah, will eventually be mostly SPS.

We'll find out I guess. I may have a slightly used 6105 for sale otherwise :laugh:

Edited by roni

The 6105 is a lot of flow for the 70G if you crank it up to the max value. I have one on mine and is set at the lowest level. It still packs a punch though. If you have sand, you might a lot of it blown around.

The 6105 is a lot of flow for the 70G if you crank it up to the max value. I have one on mine and is set at the lowest level. It still packs a punch though. If you have sand, you might a lot of it blown around.

hmm...wonder if i should go with 2 6055s in the front corners and put both of the 6045s behind the reef.

I also have 2 MP10s on the 70G and find that on the reef crest mode, the flow is somewhat lacking. The 6105 added what I need but I dont have a controller for it. One 6105 with a controller might do the trick though. It is something that I haven't tried.

that makes sense. i think if i have the 6105 stay in 0-50% most of the time with occasional surges to 100% that may work well. 2 6055s would give me more ability to target flow but $$$ is a lot higher.

that makes sense. i think if i have the 6105 stay in 0-50% most of the time with occasional surges to 100% that may work well. 2 6055s would give me more ability to target flow but $$$ is a lot higher.

Barring adding the vortech that everyone wants you to add. I think the single 6105 set up like you are talking will work very well. That has my vote.

I don't know for sure about The 6105, but generally you aren't supposed to run them below 30%.

I'd do 2x6055. I don't like the big wart on the outside of the tank with the vortech. I used to have them and otherwise they are nice pumps.

On my 75, I have 2x6055, a 6025, and a 1260 return.

I would go with one mp40 and supplement with the 6045 if needed.

I like the vortech products but I get a really good deal on Tunze so it's hard to stray from them (plus being able to call up Roger anytime to get stuff fixed or with questions biases me)

Barring adding the vortech that everyone wants you to add. I think the single 6105 set up like you are talking will work very well. That has my vote.

I think that's where I'm leaning. Will have to see how much the $$$ difference is.

I don't know for sure about The 6105, but generally you aren't supposed to run them below 30%.

I'd do 2x6055. I don't like the big wart on the outside of the tank with the vortech. I used to have them and otherwise they are nice pumps.

On my 75, I have 2x6055, a 6025, and a 1260 return.

Will have to check on the 30%. I think you're right as I don't think i ran my 6100s below 50% previously.

I think the ideal solution if they were out would be 2 6095s (the new pump coming out). The 6095 is going to be really, really nice. nearly the output of the 6105 (2800 max) with a wider area of dispersal and same size as the 6055.

thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.

I was thinking it was 30% too... I pulled the manual for one of the controllers (7096 in this case) and it lists on page 77 that 30% is the minimum setting. IIRC, it is because of stability issues with the pump shaft at low speeds. However, you could still do what you are thinking about with the 30-40% and occasional 100% surge.

The 6095s do look awesome... temporary solution until they are released? :)

possibly. My thought is that I may go with the 6105 and then with expected growth of SPS (hopefully), I'll swap out 1 or both of the 6045s for 6095s if the flow isn't chaotic enough. I do have a fair number of lps and polyps so I think keeping the old pumps would probably be fine, though I'm a sucker for new toys.

I think you would be happy with one 6105 and the controller. I also agree with you about Roger and Tunze. Top notch service. It is the sole reason why most of my gear is Tunze right now.

My only complaint with the Vortech is not able to set the direction of the pump. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone with the 6055 instead of the MP10s.

Quality products bring high prices though as you know.

Cannot wait to see it all set up.