Moving three tanks...

xeon

I told my friends getting into the hobby about the three tanks for sale in Springfield.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4239

I called yesterday morning, went to see the tanks last night and we collectively decided to buy them after seeing the lot. The 180 is a bit rough, but savable IMO. My friends will be taking the 180 and I am going to take the 72 and 45 coffee table. I will not be setting up the coffee table, btw. At least I am not planning on it right now, due to not really having a place it might work.

Anyway, Tuesday at around noon we are going to move the 72 and 45 gallon to my house.

We have and/or will get trash cans for water, bags for fish-n-corals, tubs for live rock-n-sand and some muscle. We also have trucks, vans and a trailer.

The real fun should be the 180, which is going to be a real pain. Steep steps and a heavy, long and awkward tank. Anyone have any suggestions there besides brute strength? Unsure on the move date for the 180, but before May 11th.

Good suggestions, might want to help... post away.

I would suggest that for the 180 you rent a refrigerator dolly and pads. This is a heavy duty dolly with straps that can be tightened to your liking. You can wrap the tank in moving pads to help protect the tank from any corners you might have to negotiate. The dolly will have rollers on the back that will make moving up the steps easier than having to carry it up the steps.

Good luck and take a couple of Advil for the pain!!!

Well... we moved the 72g bow and 45g coffee table yesterday. Between two of us, it took us longer than I expected. ;) Traffic was an added bonus. Thank heavens for 107.7 and their frequent traffic updates. Last night as I was wrapping things up I knew I was about "done in" when I asked my wife if the clothes in the dishwasher were clean... yep I really said it. Still things to do of course, but it is sufficient for the time being.

The tank is clearing up nicely and I did not set up the coffee table tank. A picture from this morning....

10872.jpg

Dave,

I have 3-18g tubs, 1-14g tub that you could use if needed! But the mid-week dates are killer for me to pitch in time wise. Sorry!

Howard

BTW, Awesome Tank!

I wish it were the weekend too, but my "week time" seems to be my best "free time". We could maybe use more tubs. We did buy some heavy duty Rubbermaid trash cans and various storage containers for rock, bagged corals and fish. I already had some on hand of course. Picking up extras in short order might not be possible, but I appreciate the invitation. I'm also going to run by the grocery to pick up some boxes, since there will be much more equipment with this move.

To the previous comment on Advil... try Bextra. ;)

I think we have four people(self included) not counting Paul(Jarosh) who also offered to help. Paul, if you read this give me a ring.

Yes it is a faux finish, my wife went nuts for a while there with sponge painting. She has even sponge painted a few of her friends walls... "have sponge and paint, will travel". LOL I have even been persuaded into smearing, sponging, toll-painting, stenciling or doing something above the norm with paint on walls... ain't my thing though.

I'm in for thurs or friday, just give me a ring.. I've got a 35 gal rubbermiad trash can I use for RO water and the use of my pick-up if needed.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alex wlazlak
(edited)

that 72 looks beautiful. im trying to save up money for a bigger tank cause mine is going downhill in so many ways and would like to get a 75-90 gallon tank with higher end filters and such... but you should update pictures periodicly so we can see how its doin :D

Edited by alex wlazlak