Plate Coral care

epleeds

I recently bought one but i am not sure if its happy. where should i put it other than in the sand. more flow, less flow, more light, less light.

thanks

(edited)

Never had one, but also looking to keep one...here is some info from 'Aquarium CORALS' by Eric H. Borneman:

"Fungia echinata and Fungia repanda are from somewhat deeper-water environments. Fugia fungities has a predominantly shallow-water distribution."

Also, "Short-distance migration is possible -12 inches per day- and they can climb up to a 30 degree slope"

Also, "Care must be taken to avoid having Fungia move too near other corals as this can result in the injury or death of one of the corals. The damaged coral is almost never the Fungia."

Edited by John

In general, put in medium flow, strong light. Low flow tends to allow detritus to settle around them and has adverse effects, high flow tends to make it difficult for them to inflate to remove sand and feed. General LPS lighting is sufficient, but I've never seen one react adversely to very strong lighting. IME, the orange and hot pink varieties are the most light needy, but all of them can stand strong MH systems. If in doubt, move to brighter areas.

The biggest thing to keeping them healthy is food. They can eat quite a bit on a daily basis. I like to feed mysis-sized meaty foods and my wife has always used sinking pellets to great success. If their tentacles are out, they normally accept food and, in many cases, a healthy plate coral will not display tentacles for a couple of days because it has been well-fed.

Are we talking Fungia or Heliofungia?

But, I'll echo everything Daniel says. And yes, they like to eat. If you have problems with fish stealing food, as I do (stupid wrasses are relentless food stealers), every few days, I put an agg crate "cage" over the coral, target feed, let it sit for maybe 1/2 hour or so (or until I see the food disappear) and then remove the cage. I do this with brain corals and my elegance as well.

Cheers

Mike

Plates chowing down on pellets

IMG_6176.jpg

IMG_5466.jpg

Also, to add a couple of things to what my husband said some plates never extend tentacles so feed them every couple of days anyway. I had a purple and green mottled one that never ever extended tentacles but it could still work the food to its mouth. If you look close in the photo I posted you can see it off to the right.

Thanks. I will have to make a small egg crate box to put over it and start feeding it pellets. Maybe move it to a different area

• 2 years later...

I'm keeping several plates in various tanks. Some with 2ppm P04 and 60ppm N03.

Generally bulletproof coral. Handles most any kind of light intensity and does well in med flow.

Some eat, some don't. Some move in circles, some move back and forth. Put a big pile of sand on one and watch it in action.

Flip it upside down or score the septa with a sharp knife and you can make them 'bud'. 

Frag them into triangles, squares, stars.  Throw one on the floor for random shapes.

Some are flat, some are irregular, some are umbrella shaped.

When buying from a wholesaler, they want you to buy 3 non orange for every orange.

Ok, I'll bite. Why 3:1 non-orange to orange?

Orange are considered more rare so you some people will make you take other more common colors along with it. Same thing with Master Scolys. When we pick up a master we've had to buy as many as 10 other assorted Scolys as well.

As for Fungia care, I agree that they love to eat. I have found that they'll eat just about anything and mine like medium flow with medium light. I would try to stay away from letting them get buried in the sand. I put a frag plug underneath where I want it placed to try and keep it elevated just slightly off the sand bed. I've had a few nice fungias for quite some time now and just picked up this sweet helio today......

Posted Image

Orange are considered more rare so you some people will make you take other more common colors along with it. Same thing with Master Scolys. When we pick up a master we've had to buy as many as 10 other assorted Scolys as well.

Hah, I slightly misread the comment from my phone.  I thought it said "you want to buy 3 non orange for every orange."  I thought it may have been some mystical insight on coral care!

Hah, I slightly misread the comment from my phone. I thought it said "you want to buy 3 non orange for every orange." I thought it may have been some mystical insight on coral care!

Lol, you didn't know that an orange fungia's growth rate doubles when placed with exactly three non-orange fungias? The light reflection from a perfect combo of purple, blue, and green enhances essential vitamin intake! :)

Lol, you didn't know that an orange fungia's growth rate doubles when placed with exactly three non-orange fungias? The light reflection from a perfect combo of purple, blue, and green enhances essential vitamin intake! :)

Exactly....  :blink:  :wacko:  :laugh:

I read somewhere on here that plate corals are rarely seen in the sand in the ocean. So I moved my baby orange to the rocks to see if it liked it better..... It is stretched out like a fat cat today... Looks pretty happy on the rocks.

null-9.jpg

I read somewhere on here that plate corals are rarely seen in the sand in the ocean. So I moved my baby orange to the rocks to see if it liked it better..... It is stretched out like a fat cat today... Looks pretty happy on the rocks.null-9.jpg

Your tank looks beautiful...start a thread...I would love to see more :)

Thank you very much! Maybe I will.