HOB Refugium

Hayden

I've been thinking about getting a HOB Refugium for my new 58g. There isn't a lot of room in the sump or under the stand for one, so a HOB may be my only option without doing something to the side of the stand (which I'd rather not do). All I'm looking for is a good place for cheto or other macro algae for nutrient export and possibly some rock rubble/sand for a safe place for copepods. I don't want a large one, just one appropriate for my tank size.

Anyone have experience with them? I've been looking for something that recommends HOB Refugium size to tank size or glass thickness and I'm coming up short. I'm worried about the additional weight the HOB will put on the glass tank wall. The last thing I want is for the tank to break or seals to start coming apart.

Thanks in advance!

I had one of the medium size CPR ones on my 75, had it hanging on the back of the tank for awhile and also had it hanging on the side of the acrylic sump, never had any problems with it hanging either place.

Edited by Big Country

I use a cpr on my 46g works very well, but you need to have something to keep the algee in the filter or it will flow over the return.

How about using a simple stand under the HOB refugium that takes the weight off the tank?

That is what I did...just got a few 2x4s and made a simple stand. Set it up so the fuge was 1/8" above the tank.

I have an 18" CPR Aquafuge + PS hanging on the back of my 29g for at least 3 yrs now. I got the tank from a backyard in FL and has the name O'Dell printed on it. No tellin how old it is. I had to use a bit of egg crate to mount the fuge as close to the back of the tank as possible as the mounting screws didn't thread far enough.

I'd say as long as you try to maximize the weight of the fuge pushing down on the frame and not pulling out (by mounting the fuge as flush as possible to the back), you shouldn't have any problems.

I use a cpr on my 46g works very well, but you need to have something to keep the algee in the filter or it will flow over the return.

+1

I used another bit of eggcrate as a screen to catch most of the algea. I also added a nano powerhead to the fuge to increase the flow in there as it was becoming a detritus trap and my cleaners kept falling into the skimmer section and getting stuck

Ok thanks. I'm not as worried about it now. A stand would be a last resort as it would end up blocking my limited access to behind the tank for any maintenance. But it sounds like the added weight for a 2-3 gal HOB shouldn't pose a problem for a 58. Thanks again for the info.