What could be causing clove polyps to disappear?

Jan

I've got a large mag rock that up until a week ago was completelty covered with blue clove polyps. Half of the rock is now bear. What could be causing them to disappear like this?

Is this in your seahorse tank, Jan?

If so, it may be the temperature... for some reason I can't grow them either.

(edited)

No, it's in my 75 gallon.

Is this in your seahorse tank, Jan?

If so, it may be the temperature... for some reason I can't grow them either.

Yes, a tuxedo urchin, but it's been in there for a long time. It's never bothered the cloves before.

Do you have an urchin?

I do have a fairly new starfish, though. It is a purple one with 5 legs. The name escapes me at the moment. I haven't seen it on that rock. I wonder if it could be the culprit. It's name starts with an "L". Not a linkia.

Edited by Jan

I've got a large mag rock that up until a week ago was completelty covered with blue clove polyps. Half of the rock is now bear. What could be causing them to disappear like this?

Jan,

this might not help, but I had a small colony of blue clove polyps and they were the first to go when I had an algae outbreak , and started having problems mantaining my Mag and Alkilinity.

No, this is very helpful. I have had more algae than usual. I'll check my levels. Thank you.

Jan,

this might not help, but I had a small colony of blue clove polyps and they were the first to go when I had an algae outbreak , and started having problems mantaining my Mag and Alkilinity.

We have a white short-spined urchin and a tiger cowrie that have both eaten blue clove polyps (the cowrie more than the urchin). The only way we've kept any is to put a frag plug with them so close to the glass that they can't get to the polyps.

Yes algea outbreaks often cause me to loose zoa's and othe poylp type coral (like your cloves) I would look for area's of dead space. Maybe add more ceriths and nassarius snails. Ceriths work on algea great at night, and the other guys will stir your sand bed so less algea can settle. Good luck Jan

Jan,

did you ever figure this out. i just got back and my tank is covered in the cloves....need to know what i can do to get rid of them.

thanks

eric