AHHHH NOOOOO.

BowieReefer84

SOOO, my dumb #$# #$#$@@# @#@# forgot to turn powerstrip on last night after taking pictures. Just got home from work and saw the temp was 70!!!! Fish were all swimming ok, and coral looks ok. Hope everything IS ok. Went without waterflow or temp control from 9:00+/- last night until now. I feel so stupid.

Everything is back on now....

70 isn't bad. Everything should be alright. It's good for lights to be out for a day or two, IMO. Corals look better when I leave the lights off a day out for a day or two. No flow can be an issue but if they look fine then everything is okay. Hey, when you purchase online sometimes fish and coral are in bags for 24 or more hours. Mosr survive.

Edited by Jan

LOL JAN!!! The only thing that WAS on were the lights. They are on a seperate strip with a timer (I only run them 5 hours a day, which is what Gadgets told me is best). O well, I think it should be ok hopefully. Just mad b/c I picked up so many nice sps frags recently that are actually growing.

Note, I hear the reason they ship overnight is to keep them moving around b/c overnight shipping does not sit stagnant....

Edited by BowieReefer84

LMAO! It figures...

5 hours, huh? Gosh I'm bad. I leave mine on for who knows how many hours in a day. but then I don't turn them on for a day or two.

LMAO! It figures...

5 hours, huh? Gosh I'm bad. I leave mine on for who knows how many hours in a day. but then I don't turn them on for a day or two.

Yup 5 hours. I might up to to 5.1/2 or 6 in a few months maybe just to see if I notice any increased growth. I was told corals cannot photosynthesize for more than 5 or 6 hours a day... Can't find any backup though.

Wow, that really bites. It does sound like everything might make it so that is good. Keep us posted.

I've read the same thing about the photoperiod somewhere on the internet. I doubt you can put an actual time on it as every system's lighting, tank, and corals are different. You will just have to find what is right for each system.

I would suggest you get an controller so that it can send you an alarm if the tank parameters or power are off. It is well worth the cost!

I would suggest you get an controller so that it can send you an alarm if the tank parameters or power are off. It is well worth the cost!

Absolutely - if it ain't automated I'm bound to forget it............I refuse to admist how many times I've forgotten to turn the ATO back on after a water change :eek:

Absolutely - if it ain't automated I'm bound to forget it............I refuse to admist how many times I've forgotten to turn the ATO back on after a water change :eek:

Or plug the heater back in...

Or plug the heater back in...

Oh the humanity :ph34r: even after posting this AM I forgot to set them to manual off in AC3 :blush:

Edited by ErikS

lol, you should be good. Im a little worried now because we got our heater in our house being replaced...so my tanks been at 73-4 since about 8am and heat wont be on in the house until 4-5pm....SOO COLD HERE!! haha...but I think we all know the feeling of, OH CRAP WHAT WAS OFF?

Note, I hear the reason they ship overnight is to keep them moving around b/c overnight shipping does not sit stagnant....

Except my order the other day from Diver's Den suffered at the fate of FedEx Overnight. It got delayed somehow in Indianapolis (no weather issues), then when it made it here the next day, it sat "On Vehicle for Delivery" from 11AM until it finally got delivered at 839PM.

All dead, everything cold.

Stupid FedEx. Seems like UPS/FedEx are all about the same until something stresses their network. UPS keeps on rollin while FedEx grinds to a halt.

Well my sixline was stuck face forward in a rock crevice. Who knows how long. I was able to flick him out, but now can't see him in the tanks anywhere... Not sure if this is related. It was like he poked his head in, and couldn't back out. Had to flip the rock upside down to get him out. He has only been in the tank for a few weeks, but has been eating like a champ so not sure.

He must be hiding good, because my tank is small and I can NOT see him anywhere. Yes, I checked under the stand and in back....

We'll see.

at least you found it out after 1 day....

me on the other hand, unplugged the heat and pumps during water change before I left for Christmas on Wednesday night...Plugged the pumps back and forget to turn the heater back on!...I found out about it when i get home on Monday afternoon when the tank temperature is like 73F....but who knows what was the low point during those couple days!

Edited by thewire

Hey guys, 72-80 is the normal temp range for a reef aquarium. You'll be fine especially since it wasn't a sudden drastrict drop all at one time. l'd worry at about 68 degrees.

Edited by Jan

Hey guys, 72-80 is the normal temp range for a reef aquarium. You'll be fine especially since it wasn't a sudden drastrict drop all at one time. l'd worry at about 68 degrees.

72 may be normal (as in typical) for a reef aquarium, but it's about 10 degrees colder than the ocean reefs our critters came from :)

Could be. All I know is that most all reef params I've seen, in books and on the internet, for most of my livestock (you can check this on liveaquaria too) say 72-79. Ive got one tank at 72-73 to avoid vibrio growth, and the other at 79-80.

Could be. All I know is that most all reef params I've seen, in books and on the internet, for most of my livestock (you can check this on liveaquaria too) say 72-79. Ive got one tank at 72-73 to avoid vibrio growth, and the other at 79-80.

That is all good and well, I just think that the over all point here is the fear that it could have been worse. I keep my tank at 79 in case of emergency it has some buffer time before it goes critical since it's in a cold basement. But I think we should all be glad that there was little to no loss.

Oh I got it and my posts are made in an effort to alleviate some of that unnecessary fear.

That is all good and well, I just think that the over all point here is the fear that it could have been worse. I keep my tank at 79 in case of emergency it has some buffer time before it goes critical since it's in a cold basement. But I think we should all be glad that there was little to no loss.

72 may be normal (as in typical) for a reef aquarium, but it's about 10 degrees colder than the ocean reefs our critters came from smile.gif

That is very true. Unless the corals come from a section of a reef that gets currents coming up from a deep cold water trench like the tonga area does, then the corals more then likely are going to be coming from much warmer waters.

Oh I got it and my posts are made in an effort to alleviate some of that unnecessary fear.

Ok, just thought 2-3 people saying the same thing was redundant and was hoping to steer back on course. But thanks guys on the temp suggestions, idk about anyone else but they backed up my theories.