Getting a new camera for christmas and have a dilemma

Chad

I have been looking for the last several months at various cameras and I had narrowed it down to the d5000 by nikon...

Unfortunately, when I went to buy the camera I found that it had been discontinued and not-quite replaced by the d3100. So now I feel like I am at a bit of a loss with what to get. Do y'all think I should go ahead and get the d3100, seek out a d5000 somewhere, or go with something different (a d90 is probably more than I need in both camera and cost since both my fianc

Just bought a Canon T2i over the d5000. Check it out if you haven't before. i think it's a much more superior camera parts wise, features it's pretty much the same, but the features on the canon work better. i've noticed that.

I have been looking for the last several months at various cameras and I had narrowed it down to the d5000 by nikon...

Unfortunately, when I went to buy the camera I found that it had been discontinued and not-quite replaced by the d3100. So now I feel like I am at a bit of a loss with what to get. Do y'all think I should go ahead and get the d3100, seek out a d5000 somewhere, or go with something different (a d90 is probably more than I need in both camera and cost since both my fianc

The reviews I've read highly recommend the Nikon 5000 and said that it is better for the money than the 3000 (this was before the 3100 came out). I got the D90 because it will do autofocus on lenses that don't have integrated motors. Ken Rockwell writes a very no-nonsense blog on cameras and I like the way he approaches things. He highly recommends the 7000 but notes that it's twice as much and if money is a concern then get the 3100 and you'll love it.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Cool, thanks all!

I think I am going to call around locally and see what I can find. Maybe there will be one still in stock somewhere.

Cool, thanks all!

I think I am going to call around locally and see what I can find. Maybe there will be one still in stock somewhere.

There are plenty of new 5000s on ebay. Different lens packages available. That is probably what I would do.

I called and found one at a smaller place in Alexandria today that they have on hold for me... Good chance we will get it tonight :)

My SO really REALLY wants the option of buying a damage warranty that she can purchase from whoever we buy it from, so I think that limits me to buying from a retailer rather than an individual... otherwise, I would happily go that route.

lol, we will do just that (like I said, she REALLY wants it...)

Travis, it sounds like you have a good story, though... Care to share?

lol, we will do just that (like I said, she REALLY wants it...)

Travis, it sounds like you have a good story, though... Care to share?

A fellow photographer would burn through nikon cameras about every 4 months with prosumer use - flashes would melt, etc. The first camera I actually wore out was a Canon xsi- over 200K of photos in a year and a half- never melted a flash. In reality it shouldn't of lasted 1/4 that long- needless to say I'm forever a happy Canon user.

Based on his experience I'd get the warranty (he actually did start getting the warranty on it and every 4 months would take it in for replacement).

Well, we gone done, did it... biggrin.gif

Now to finish reading "Nikon D5000 for Dummies (aka me!)" to see if I can figure out what all of these buttons do!!

We got a 18-55 and a 55-200 lens and the camera body, I am pretty excited to see what this can do!

(and yes, we got the warranty)

Edited by Chad

Now to finish reading "Nikon D5000 for Dummies (aka me!)" to see if I can figure out what all of these buttons do!!

We got a 18-55 and a 55-200 lens and the camera body, I am pretty excited to see what this can do!

Congrats! That's a nice camera.........it's heart & soul is a D90, just a minus a few features that some don't use.

If you have any specific question shoot me a pm (like the focus modes, the manual is a bit obtuse), I have that camera. A lot really depends on how you shoot but there are some settings that can make life a bit easier.

For example - Set the fn button (upper of the two on the left side of the lens mount) to ISO. Set ISO to display in the viewfinder (something the 3100 can't do ;) ). Now when shooting simply hit the fn button & spin the wheel = change ISO to get the f-stop/shutter you want. Find that one particularly useful. Others use the fn button for white balance, but a) it's pretty accurate b) shoot RAW & you can change it anyway.

Should add, the best source of info is:

DR Review Nikon DX Body Fourm

Edited by ErikS

Cool, thanks for the offer! I am sure that I will take you up on it. I have always enjoyed playing with my camera, but don't feel that I am terribly good at it (though I do get lucky with a great picture from time to time :) ).

I think doing that sounds like a good idea for me (as good a place as any to start anyway :) )... I will figure out how to do that tonight (still on chapter 2 of my dummy book...) and play with it. What mode does the camera need to be in to use that?

The camera place gave us a bunch of tickets to a free camera class (this is the first DSLR camera that I have owned), do you think it is something that we ought to go do?

Thanks!

Cool, thanks for the offer! I am sure that I will take you up on it. I have always enjoyed playing with my camera, but don't feel that I am terribly good at it (though I do get lucky with a great picture from time to time :) ).

The only way to get better is to shoot. Fortunately in the digital age that costs nothing.......shoot, delete, shoot, delete.....

Back in ye olden days learning got expensive with film & developing.

Easiest mode is Auto (green) on the dial - camera does everything. Begin there & work your way further.........or not, it will turn out some very nice pics.

The camera place gave us a bunch of tickets to a free camera class (this is the first DSLR camera that I have owned), do you think it is something that we ought to go do?

If it's free then why not? Couldn't hurt, only cost time. :biggrin:

An often recommend book is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson @ Amazon

Chad, simply put... Cameras slip, and well they dont tend to take the fall very well... Things like cameras that get taken all over the place and being held all the time, all it takes is one little accident and its broken.. I am a big fan of accidental damage coverage on things like a nice camera.. One of my favorite qoutes that couldnt be more true. "Chance favors the prepared mind" ..

BTW, congrats on the purchase..!!

Edited by trockafella

Chad, simply put... Cameras slip, and well they dont tend to take the fall very well...

Good point & on that subject I can't recommend this strap enough Black Rapid RS4

I've tried my share & nothing is as secure or easy to use (yeah, I know they ain't cheap :laugh: )

It seems that the "best" stuff rarely comes cheap!

I came to the conclusion long ago that I would rather buy the best thing that will meet my needs once than to buy mediocre stuff 2 or 3 times.

I will look into that strap :) Thanks for the recommendation.

Optech makes a good strap at a much lower price.

I didn't see one with a tripod attachment? (which is what I really like about the Black Rapid straps)

I didn't see one with a tripod attachment? (which is what I really like about the Black Rapid straps)

I don't think they do. IMHO, two connecting points are better than one, and I prefer to keep my quick release plates on the tripod mount.

I have learned how to use about 3 buttons on the camera and shot a few pics today on a hike along the Potomac Heritage Trail... The camera is awesome!

gallery_2632346_867_178186.jpg

gallery_2632346_867_250918.jpg

gallery_2632346_867_687158.jpg

gallery_2632346_867_362298.jpg

gallery_2632346_867_80783.jpg

I have learned how to use about 3 buttons on the camera................

That's the ticket! Like #3, nice perspective.......a bit more depth of field on the wall (larger f-stop number, smaller opening).

Here's what I got for Xmas...........anyone know where the the SD card goes?????

Argus C-3

Thanks for the tip... I was trying to figure that one out... I think I had it set in the green auto mode for that picture... I havent started playing with the manual modes yet (still a couple chapters from those in my dummy book tongue.gif )

Is that argus c-3 a bowhunting tool to determine range? that is the only thing on it I recognize... hehe jk

That is way cool!