skimmer

losking44

does any have a Deltec APF600 skimmer, have problem bc its over flow i think bc using a mag 7 for feed pump, can any help , maybe need pump i hope ,thank

Way, way too much for that skimmer (if run wide open). Skimmer should be fed approx 211 gallons/hour. You can use the mag 7, you just need to dial it back (valve on the output of the mag 7)...........a smaller pump would be more efficient.

You want to adjust the water flow until the water line (motor off) is just at the black portion where the collection cup joins the body. Once it's stable at that point you can adjust for wet/dry skimming. Water level higher = wetter, water level lower = drier.

• 3 weeks later...

I have that exact skimmer, and I used to use maxijet pumps as my feed pumps. If you want wet skimmate, use a maxijet 1200 as your feed pump. If you want dryer skimmate, use a maxijet 900.

Wet skimming is when your skimmer is turned up almost all the way and produces a liquid that is close to a green tea color in color. It fills your collection cup up very fast so you need to make sure it doesn't overflow. Dry skimming is when the skimmer is producing an almost dry foam and it will take awhile for the collection cup to fill up with a dark thick skimmate.

Wet skimmate allows for better collection of particulates and organics but you have to account for the extra removal of water. I like to run wet when I am cleaning the glass or blowing off my rocks. If you wet skim make sure to adjust the auto top off water in the sump to prevent changes in your system's salinity.

I have that exact skimmer, and I used to use maxijet pumps as my feed pumps. If you want wet skimmate, use a maxijet 1200 as your feed pump. If you want dryer skimmate, use a maxijet 900.

o

oo

ooo

oooo

ooooo

oooooo

ooooooo

o

o

o

o

Check here, go with the MaxiJet and not the Mag Pump

wat kind of mag should use ? mag 2 or mag3

The easiest way to answer this question is to look up the specifications on the two pumps that jamesbuf gave you above. I'll help you out with doing that.

I went to MarineDepot and looked up the specs for the Maxijet 900 and the Maxijet 1200. The 900 puts out 230 gallons per hour (at zero head pressure), while the 1200 outputs 295 gph.

Now, compare that with the Mag-2 and Mag-3:

Mag-2: 250 gph at 1' (275 @ 0')

Mag-3: 350 gph at 1' (375 @ 0')

The Mag-2 seems to be between both Maxijets, so you might be able to use it with very little adjustment. You could also use the Mag-3, but will most likely be running it valved down for less flow.