Need to feed fish while on vacation

kscotbarr

Hi all-

I either need to purchase or borrow an automatic fish feeder this weekend, or find someone to come feed my fish a few days over Christmas. If anyone has an extra feeder they're looking to sell or let me borrow please get in touch, or if you live in Woodbridge, VA and would be willing to stop by a few days that would be fantastic as well. Just moved into the area and don't know where the closest store might be to pick up a feeder.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Kevin

Kevin, hopefully you can find one to borrow. But, if not, you may find the LFS Map, in the upper right hand side of the screen, handy to find some of the (marine) fish stores in the region. It's a little outdated (we're working now to bring it up to date). For example, Aquatic Obsession is no longer in business. If you're up for the drive, I would recommend Blue Ribbon Koi & Marine (BRK for short)as they're just a little north of Manassas and a very good place to get to know. Other places, such as PetSmart, may have a decent feeder, too. If you feed flake or pellets, I like the Eheim 3581 personally. Good luck and happy holidays!

By the way, I saw that you just joined us. Welcome to WAMAS! I hope you'll take the time to introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about your setup and how you got into the hobby.

Welcome to Wamas kscotbarr! This is an awesome forum for all your saltwater hobby needs! The people here are very helpful and informative if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask! I'd help you out but I'm all the way in Alexandria, but good luck on the auto feeder!!

Nearest pet stores in Woodbridge are PetSmart near Potomac Mills & a PetCo (both web site will have maps).

That being said I have an extra one (live in the Woodbridge area). It's a Hydor, bit of a PITA to use - but it's reliable & will feed flak & pellets.

Won't be around much this weekend due to xmas prep..........but I will be here next week, most days after 5:00pm.

How long are you going for? Generally less than 4 days & I just let the fish go - they can easily survive 3 days without food.

Just let me know, it's yours if you want it (have the box & instructions also) - be advised it takes a couple AA batteries.

There may be a fee involved - I may make you take some green cap or frogspawn with you :laugh:

(just kidding)

Edited by ErikS

Do not feed your fish while you are gone for less than 2 weeks. Fish and critters will do just fine for well over 2 weeks with no outside food. Your tank is creating little critters and algae all the time, so there will be food, just not much.

I would be more worried about water level and quality. That can kill your tank quickly.

Do not feed your fish while you are gone for less than 2 weeks. Fish and critters will do just fine for well over 2 weeks with no outside food. Your tank is creating little critters and algae all the time, so there will be food, just not much.

Two weeks? You're a braver man than I :laugh:

Two weeks? You're a braver man than I :laugh:

I think you would be extremely suprised. The fish in the tank at school are maybe fed once a week and that tank has a huge pacific blue tang, two huge yellow tangs, a large flame angel, and many others that are very fat and happy. We ran out of food at one point and they weren't fed for almost a month and there was barely any noticeable change in how good they all looked. At home, when I was moving tanks I didn't feed my eel for almost 2 months because he's extremely messy when he eats and the tank he and my corals were in had no filtration. Granted the eel is a different case, but our tanks provide A LOT of the food that our fish eat.

I think you would be extremely suprised.................

Nah, after this length of time nothing surprises me :laugh: I however don't have the nerve to let them go two weeks w/o food.

I have not fed my fish for two weeks several times with only good results. However, when I have bad problems with house checkers/sitter feeding my fish. People love to feed fish, and if a little is good, more is better! You know what happens!

I have let my fish go for over a month with no external food. The algae and pods were fine for them. They did not grow, but they did just fine, and they did not loose much, if any, weight.

I lock up my food when I have someone taking care of my house when I go on vacation! Do not bother feeding your fish when you are on vacation. It is not worth it!