selling, trading frags and the law...

sam75

Just got done reading the thread on RC about the Florida reefer that got a warning from fish and game for trying to sell a fish on Craigs list, the ensuing drama and then FWS attending MACNA.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1849850

I never thought much about it, but does anyone know what the laws are for VA/DC/MD? is it illegal to sell/trade frags and or livestock?

Edited by sam75

fFlorida is faced with a climate that allows livestock to live and reproduce if released and a natural reef that can be poached.

These are the reasons you see this type of stuff.

Md could care less.

If you read the whole thread, there are some definite points being made that our hobby is still in the grey areas of the law. If you are a big coral trader/seller, cover your butt and get a license to sell and keep good records.

Don't know about the law, but as far as Craigslist rules go, you can't sell pets or livestock (I'm assuming that means farm animals). They do, however, allow "re-homing" fees.

I think that the key to FL fish and wildlife being concerned about these kinds of things has to do with the fact that they have an active commercial fish and coral industry - so they regulate it. There should be no real worries here in MD or VA.

Jackie

I was going to add screw the law but you may remember things like the idiots who threw the snakeheads from their aquariums into local waters and the nimrods who threw the Lionfish in the Florida waters and the doodads who threw the caulerpa into a marine area where nothing ate it...

Edited by Brian Ward
language

I was going to add screw the law but you may remember things like the idiots who threw the snakeheads from their aquariums into local waters and the nimrods who threw the Lionfish in the Florida waters and the doodads who threw the caulerpa into a marine area where nothing ate it...

I'm with you!

Florida Officials think the lionfish introduction was an accident from a beachfront home being damaged by Hurricane Andrew in 1992. The tank contained several show size lionfish which ended up in Biscayne Bay with the house.