How cold?

hypertech

My tank is in the basement. I currently have it set to 76 degrees and the heater is running a lot. The halides are hardly even hearing it up. To save energy, can I allow it to run cooler? How low is a safe setting?

no less than 74

I disagree. You can venture even into the high 60s and be fine, though I would not sustain this over the long term (several months). The tank in my bedroom averages 72 year-round.

In fact, I would love to be at 76 all the time, as you are now. In general, lower temps will be tolerated more so than higher temps.

Save your energy bill and run 76 +/- 2F, and you will be fine.

Cheers

Mike

I am confused.

Is the Heater in your House set to 76? Or the heater in the tank set to 76?

also what size heater do you have in the tank? what is your water volume?

I am confused.

Is the Heater in your House set to 76? Or the heater in the tank set to 76?

also what size heater do you have in the tank? what is your water volume?

House is 70 or 72, but this is in the basement which may be cooler. Tank is a 75 which likely has about 80g of total volume. Heater in the tank is 100W or maybe 150 and set to keep the tank above 76. But, all of that is really irrelevant.

I was just looking at the temp and power charts on my Apex and noted the heater is running a lot. If I let it cool down more, reason would say it would run less and use less power. I was asking if dropping it to something lower - say 74 or 75 would be ok.

I was asking if dropping it to something lower - say 74 or 75 would be ok.

Yes. But, as with all things coral, go slowly - no temp shocks.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

close the top off on the tank and sump that should keep heat in. And to think I have to use fans on mine all summer LOL

I've always used at least 3 to 5 watts per gallon as a rule of thumb to get the proper size for heaters. That 100w heater is having to work way too hard trying to keep 80 gallons of water warm.

The heater is working fine and it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. I don't want a big heater that is capable of heating the tank quickly. I'd prefer it running as close to 100% capacity as possible. If the temp gets low, it will email me and I have a bigger heater I can throw in.