identify this please?

armymedic

Someone gave me this at the meeting and im not sure the name of it. Also, there is a small brown colony that is below the coral and i am not sure what it is. I didnt put that in my tank. I think it may have came with the LR that i picked up. Is it bad? thx.

pic

Edited by armymedic

The brown stuff looks like a cluster of featherdusters. It's not aiptasi or majano. A closer more clear picture would help.

Carinv7.jpg

Looks like a cup or tube (tubastrea) coral to me. How long has it taken to develop? If it's been slowly growing then it could be that, but if it appeared relatively quickly then it's not as they take awhile to grow as they are a stony coral.

Holy Cow! You better get that brown thing out of your tank now while you're still alive! That the most deadly coral ever made. It's a cannibalistic palytoxin and ciguarotoxin palythoa.

Seriously though it looks like possibly an Astrea coral or something that is ususally found in darker waters. The green stuff is Gsp.

Well we all agree onthe GSP but the brown coral we differ on. To me the brown coral looks like a simple Oculina varicosa, sometimes called "white tree" or "ivory tree". I know it is brown but that is what it is called.

It is normally found as a hitchiker that comes in on Florida live rock shipments. My experience while collecting live rock in FL is in shallow waters they are branchy while in deeper waters they seem to be more rounded with short branches.

Here is a photo I took this past Summer of a colony in NC.

P7030339-a.jpg

(edited)

Hmmmm....far be it for me to doubt the Jedi Masters here, but i have searched the great god of google for most of what you have called it and i am not convinced.

"Darnit Jim, im a doctor, not a reefkeeper!!!!!" tongue.gif

Here is a more upclose pic..about the best one i can get.

Mysterious Brown something or other...

and yes it hasnt grown much in size in the last month it has been in there.

Thx

Edited by armymedic

Guessing it "may" be a small piece of galaxia coral that was left over from a colony. I recently rescued several pieces that were about dead and they are on the come back and look a lot like your picture.

DSCN4222.jpg

+1 on the galaxia. Looks like a near dead piece that's trying to come back.

Guessing it "may" be a small piece of galaxia coral that was left over from a colony. I recently rescued several pieces that were about dead and they are on the come back and look a lot like your picture.