Return pump recommendations.

DWG

I am working on a 150 (60*24*24) and need some recommendations for a return pump that will meet the following requirements. Or a web site that helps calculate flows.

1.) external

2.) Quiet, very quiet would be better

3.) reasonable priced.

4.) ability to throttle back if necessary

5.) Efficient

Was thinking of trying for 1000 gph, at the nozzles of the returns. Which there are 2 of.

Plumbing details:

Twin returns,

I usually use this site to do base head loss calculations. A reeflo snapper is a good choice, I think, I expect you would see around 1,500 gph or so with your set up.

I usually use this site to do base head loss calculations. A reeflo snapper is a good choice, I think, I expect you would see around 1,500 gph or so with your set up.

Thanks for the link.

Actually, I have been looking at the reeflo's, but very confusing as to, dart or snapper (which I guess is the same pump, but a part change) or go for the gold snapper. just really want it reliable and quiet.

Snapper or the Dart. Be sure to upsize your plumbing, though, in the run from the pump to the return nozzles. If you're able, run 1-1/2" to 2" plumbing as close as you're able up to the tank to reduce head loss. If you run 3/4" or 1" plumbing from the pump to the tank, you'll have a lot of head loss which will reduce your flow considerably. If you have to use this narrow of pipe, then you're probably better off with a pressure pump, than a flow-biased pump like the snapper or dart.

Eheim 1262

Not as much flow as an external, but very quiet. You probably don't need 1000gph turnover to the sump in a 150gal tank. The 1262 would give about 600gph with that head loss.

Snapper or the Dart. Be sure to upsize your plumbing, though, in the run from the pump to the return nozzles. If you're able, run 1-1/2" to 2" plumbing as close as you're able up to the tank to reduce head loss.

Point well take, as I am still in the planning stage so that can be incorporated.

Eheim 1262

Not as much flow as an external, but very quiet. You probably don't need 1000gph turnover to the sump in a 150gal tank. The 1262 would give about 600gph with that head loss.

1000 gph is an estimate, and might be over kill, but it never fails that I never seem to get the flow that I was expecting. Have heard great things about the Eheim, very quiet, but seem to lack the flow, and I don't want to run 2.

Thanks for the input.

Since it was something that I debated before I answered the first time, I will throw one more plug for the eheim. The reason that I didnt say anything about it before was because you mentioned external eheims can run externally), but Justin's recommendation pushed me to post tongue.gif

What do you mean lack the flow? Where? Through the sump or in the tank? This is imporatnt because I also think that 600 gph would be enough through a sump on a 150 (that's about the volume of my system and the flowthrough rate). The return pump doesnt need to be a major source of flow in the DT, it is a rather inefficent way to add flow (by lowering the water ~4 feet then pumping it back up to the DT).

One way that you can make the cost of operating your system (energy used) lower is by reducing the flow through the sump... it doesnt need to be very much, just enough to provide water to your skimmer, additional flow can more efficiently (in other words less money to operate) be added to a DT with some of the new power heads out there (like vortech or tunze). I would consider this option further, it may be worth while in the long run.

Eheims are rock solid, have a long-proven track record, and very quiet (especially when run internally).

Edited by Chad

Eheims are quiet. I normally don't think of them for external use, but they can certainly be run that way.

I don't think the OP (original poster) said anything about the size of his sump. If it's relatively small, then I agree that an Eheim is a better choice. It's also only 80W, which is about 50+ Watts less than a Dart. I assumed that, having specified an external and more substantial flow, that he's looking for a larger pump than a 1262.

I would go with some decent powerheads for in-tank flow, though, rather than trying to get all of your flow from your return pump.

(For example: I have a 180 display, but there's probably another 170 gallons behind the wall in sumps and such. My return is a Dart. An Eheim 1262 would not be enough pump in this case as I split to several other tanks on the pressure side through a manifold.)