Poly Filter Caused Mass Spawning in my Tank

reefhunter

I was in BRK Saturday buying carbon to refill my carbon reactor which has been seriously neglected for a few months. The new guy at BRK(sorry i dont remember his name) suggested polyfilter as an alternative to carbon. I have never tried it so I bought a pack ($40, omg) and put it in the tank. I was going to run carbon and poly filter but haven't gotten around to dealing with the carbon.

The next day, which was yesterday, I noticed snails spitting out their white juice which I assume is spawning of some sort... then I saw my carpet anemone start releasing a white ooze... then I noticed a few things I have never seen before! The largest brittle stars in my tank (hundreds) came out of their hiding places and climbed up my sps and started releasing what I believe to be eggs. They were tiny red dots, hundreds if not thousands per tiny star fish. The fish were eating it as the stars released it. I have never seen this happen in my few years in the hobby.

Now for the icing on the cake... my pair of clowns became a mated pair today and have laid eggs. One is solid black and the other is orange.

D90FirstPics217-2.jpg

What is happening in my tank? I assume it is a good thing?

HAHA congrats on the clowns, i just decided to try the same thing with a B&W and my picasso, hope i have the same success.

I think if i saw all that happen after i put the poly pad in id freak out and think things where dieing but may just have some fance perfume or some rufi mixed in and its PARTY TIME, now someone needs to see if a LED disco ball will cause spawning.

congrats

The new guy over there is pretty cool. I noticed they've been keeping Ozzie locked away in the top of the shop somewhere. If you listen, you can hear him every now and then. How much did you get for $40?

So you really can't recharge it, just rinse out some of the trapped organics leaving the bond heavy metals and other items in the pad. That's what I thought. Not using tap water to rinse was an important note. Thanks for the link.

So you really can't recharge it, just rinse out some of the trapped organics leaving the bond heavy metals and other items in the pad. That's what I thought. Not using tap water to rinse was an important note. Thanks for the link.

Yea, I guess you can't really recharge it. I like using it for peace of mind since I use distilled water... I have had the same fire shrimp, and snails in my tank for over two years, so I do not think copper is an issue in my tank. However, I have never been so lucky to have a spawning event in my tank. Maybe one day!

Edited by BowieReefer84

The new guy at BRK(sorry i dont remember his name) suggested polyfilter as an alternative to carbon.

New guy is Brett.

Sounds like something to try out myself!