How do I unstick a bulkhead?

treesprite

I was planning to use the bulkheads from the 75g in the 75g I'm getting after I move, but one of them I can't screw apart. I had to break the glass from around it and pull the pieces out with a pliers (tank was already broken). It's a 1.5" bulkhead.

I think there is silicone under the piece that screws on, which would probably be the cause of the sticking (I know I didn't put any glue in there). Is there anything that would soften or loosen the grip of the silicone under there without damaging the bulkhead? I tried soaking in hot tap water, but that didn't work... maybe not hot enough if heat is the answer.

I only used them for a few months. Even so, bulkheads don't leak if the parts that count are in good shape. You can jag up all the lower threads, cut the bottoms off, whatever, and they will not leak if the surfaces that go against the glass are still perfectly smooth, the upper threads are not damaged, the gasket is still good, and the bulkhead is still perfectly in shape.

Took me forever to post - had the cr*p scared out of me just a minute ago, because out of the blue the smoke detector went on and then off, on it's own, for no reason that I can find and I'm the only one here - I know the cats can't reach that button. Maybe someone is messing with the wiring in another apartment. Still scared now - maybe some crazy person sneaked in and is hiding in the closet.... should I go grab a kitchen knife or something and put it under my pillow? (half kidding).

Guest thefishman65

Can you use two sets of channel lock pliers and undo the bulkhead? Does it turn at all?

But for the fire alarm go check for spiders. They can build webs in the detector a trigger false alarms.

$10 To $12 is the answer, buy a new one. If you are having that much of a problem separating it do you really want to use it!

+1.......it may still be rather new, but it really isn't worth the risk. I would just go with a new one. It's probably a lot less hassle.

+1, on buying a new one. Either that or wait a few weeks until I unveil my new invention called a bulk head unsticker that will sell for $245.

Still scared now - maybe some crazy person sneaked in and is hiding in the closet.... should I go grab a kitchen knife or something and put it under my pillow? (half kidding).

I didn't know you slept in the closet- is your computer in there too? :tongue:

Bought a new one - managed to find a legitimate reason for going past A1 during work hours.

Interesting info on spiders. The alarm went on/off like that again a few hours later, and still I couldn't find anything. I know it's a bad thing to do, but I disconnected the wire temporarily. I've only been home for a little bit, so I don't know yet if it is still a problem.

I don't sleep in the closet, I was worried someone got into the apartment and went into a closet while I was in my room not seeing it happen. These are the things that go through women's heads when faced with mysterious noises in the middle of the night. ... especially in this neighborhood.

Still scared now - maybe some crazy person sneaked in and is hiding in the closet.... should I go grab a kitchen knife or something and put it under my pillow? (half kidding).

Forrest, In all seriousness, save up, get lessons and buy a gun. Seriously. There are way too many weirdos out there. That said, I'm glad that you got a new bulkhead. For less than $20, you avoided what could have been a major problem.