Suggestions on shoaling / schooling fish

bluce

So I am planning on adding some more fish to my 76 gallon aquarium. Right now I only have 1 yellow tank, 1 algae blenny, and 1 watchman goby.

I wanted to add 3 to 5 shoaling / schooling fish, as I think when you see fish swimming as a group in an aquarium it adds a nice dimension.

The only types I could think of would be: Green Chromis - maybe 5

Bartletts Anthias - maybe 3

I need a few more ideas - if anyone has experience with these or other shoaling fish that are reef safe, let me know.

Attach pics if you have any.

What about certain wrasses?

Leopard wrasses stay together, and are interesting fish. They are a little tricky on the acclimation and require some specialized conditions (2ish inch sand bed) and mature tank. But overall awesome :)

I have two meleagris wrasses in my seagrass sump, but most of the pics on google are better than anything I could get.

Good luck!

Nice suggestion - I looked them up, they are nice looking fish - and it indicated that adding 3 together would be fine.

I will definitely add them to the short list.

So I am planning on adding some more fish to my 76 gallon aquarium. Right now I only have 1 yellow tank, 1 algae blenny, and 1 watchman goby.

I wanted to add 3 to 5 shoaling / schooling fish, as I think when you see fish swimming as a group in an aquarium it adds a nice dimension.

The only types I could think of would be: Green Chromis - maybe 5

Bartletts Anthias - maybe 3

I need a few more ideas - if anyone has experience with these or other shoaling fish that are reef safe, let me know.

Attach pics if you have any.

i'd avoid the bartlett's...i have 3 in a 180. they are big fish. chromis would work, especially if you feed frequently. some of the cardinals are good schoolers as well.

Im leaning towards Anthias or the Leopard wrasses - I didn't think Bartletts got too big. I want an interesting / active fish with a little more color than the Chromis.

IMHO The Leopard Wrasse is a bad choice. They are extremely hard to keep. Even anthias can be a problem as most varieties need to eat more than once a day. Keep doing your homework.

In full disclosure, Chubakah's concern is very valid. I did have a very difficult time (5-8 fish or so) finding and acclimating a pair before I had any last longer than a couple of weeks... They certainly do have a reputation for doing poorly. I personally think it is something in the chain of custody or the method of capture that causes the issues, which seem to be mostly in acclimation. I purchased the pair I have now from live aquaria, btw. There is a HUGE thread on RC that has some good info in it on the leopard wrasses.

IMHO The Leopard Wrasse is a bad choice. They are extremely hard to keep. Even anthias can be a problem as most varieties need to eat more than once a day. Keep doing your homework.

I'm doing the homework smile.gif

So to avoid the headaches i will rule out the Leopard Wrasse's. Still thinking about the Bartlett's Anthias (getting 3 if I do that).

I'm liking Trock's idea - maybe get 3 green chromis and 2 blue reef chromis - the contrast may look very nice. I didn't know they would mix together.

Now I'm also considering 3 Vanderbuilt Chromis's http://www.liveaquar...721&pcatid=1721 Unfortunately they are more expensive. Anyone have anythoughts on these guys?

I also found the Black and White, and the Orange line chromis's - does anyone know if those will mix with each other, or the green reef chromis?

I guess it seems that most of the shoaling options for an aquarium that doesn't require expert care level seem to fall into the Chromis camp. More suggestions are appreciated as I'm still researching.

Thanks to all for the information / opinions so far.

Edited by bluce

My orange line chromis mixed fine with the green and blues.

Stay away from the black mouth bi-color chromis. It is a very pretty fish but very aggressive compared to the other chromis you listed above.

Not everyone likes the look of them but Red Spot Cardinelfish are a good schooling choice and totally peaceful. I have a school of 5 in my 90 gallon right now. Tank is still relatively new so once it settles in a bit more I plan on getting another group of 5 from the Divers Den at Live Aquaria the next time some are up for sale.

I have 7 Bartletts. You have to feed them a few times a day, but they are easy to keep and gorgeous. You need a pretty generous skimmer though.

Thanks for everyones suggestions and advice.

Me and my wife have decided to go for 3 Bartletts - we may also add 2 orange line Chromis's later.

So reefer got any good advice on keeping these guys healthy? I know you need around 3 feedings a day, but what do you feed them?

Any other good husbandry tips on these guys would be appreciated.

i feed them 5-8 times a day. basically, if my wife or i walk by the tank, they get food. they get spectrum pellets and 4-5 different cubed food. i've also been using scott's homemade mix recently as well. i've done the same in the past for lyretail anthias (p. squamipinnis). i also used an auto feeder (eheim makes a good one) so they get food frequently throughout the day.