Tank Crash After Installing Sump

Antsh

I think I figured it out.

I found a post here, entitled "Nitrites in aged mixed saltwater":

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/no2probfaqs.htm

The user mentions that he mixed his water near some cat litter boxes and noticed that only after aerating the water did it have traces of ammonia and nitrite. When he stopped aerating the water, the nitrite disappeared.

I've had a new batch of water mixing for about 4-5 days and I just tested it. The ammonia was sky high and there was nitrite present. I've also tested after mixing water for my PWC (which, as I mentioned before, I don't really let it sit out) and both readings have been zero. I mix my water in the laundry room, and there are two animal cages outside the laundry door with a noticeable "ammonia scent".

I think for now I am going to go and get premixed saltwater from a LFS, put it next to the tank and run a heater and powerhead (without airline) in there and use that.

Does anyone else have any experience with their water becoming contaminated after sitting out? I may run a test with different buckets of water with both aeration and none to see if there are any changes in the readings.

That is a new one, although I doubt the ammonia is coming from the animal cages. More likely from something like chloramine breaking down into the ammonia.

Try mixing the salt in another area of the house and see what readings you get.

Well established cat boxes............................

Change the freakin boxes more often even though that is not causing the problem.

(unless the idiot is injecting the air into the bucket or there is visible standing pee in the "well established cat box.")

If the later, they've got a host of other problems in that household than ammonia in their make up water.

Many of us have opened a mixing container of new seawater and smelled ammonia, that's not a new occurrence.

Problem with that is the container is likely sealed tighter and was not breathing properly.

FYI, it does not take much organic/chemical mix to "create" a bacteria cycle in new sea water. It crashes, you smell the rest.

Rinse your containers between uses, have some voids to allow air transfer and you should be just fine.

Well, I got the premixed RODI water. It was heated up to 77F from the car drive home, so I went ahead, added it and turned the sump on. Fish got freaked from the bubbles in the return line, but other than that, I don't think they even noticed. I'm not sure that they are too keen on the new water flow. It's basically going in one direction now (left to right, with about 500 GPH), but I suppose they'll get use to it.

I guess its time to save up for a RO/DI unit.

Thanks again for everyone's help.