Jan's 36 gal seahorse, softie, gorgonian & nonphotsynthetic tank

Jan

I was in a hurry to set this up so I forgot to paint the back. My seahorses were living a 10 gallon nonphotosynthetic and softie tank for about a week or so. This is their new home. I'm working on a full tank shot. It keeps coming out blurry.

This is an example of how you can start another tank with already cycled water and live rock. It took me about 40 minutes to set this up. Making additional water took longer; 3 days. I added 10 gallons of water from an already established tank along with the live rock from that tank. This was the water the seahorses were living in. then I added another 5-7 gallons from my 75 gallon tank. I made sure to maintain the temperature then it took about 2 hours to add the newly mixed water. I added it very slowly bringing up the temp. There was no need to cycle this tank because everything was a transplant from the 10 gallon and the 75 gallon. I decided to go bare bottom with this one to reduce the number of bristle worms. Bristle worms can harm seahorses. I needed more rock, which I had, but it was dead so I decided to cure it with the unused live sand from the 10 gallon tank the horses came from. It's in a pail with a powerhead and mix. Once it's ready I'll add it to the tank. It's been up and stable for 6 days now.

Livestock

2 black and white erectus seahorses

1 purple striped pipefish (it hides in a cave during the day)

a few snails

various shrooms

various gorgonians

loads of various macro

a few zoanthid colonies

various softies

Equipment

Standard 36 gallon tank w/open wrought iron stand

-x2 70watt sunpods (temporary)

Jager 250watt heater (I need to make housing for this or create a refugium/sump to protect the seahorse)

Intergrated nano HOB filter/skimmer Taam RIO (This little skimmer is doing great!). I used this HOB/skimmer on purpose because it came with a carbon filter. Just in case there were any problems with die off after the transfer. So far everything is great. This is temporary until I can find the pump for my HOB Remora C. I have some time before I need a larger skimmer.

Params

SG 1.024

Temp 74-75 degrees

PH 8.2

0 on everything else

Haven't checked calcium & magnesium yet.

I feed mysid every other day for the ponies alongwith cyclopeeze for the pipefish & oysterfeast for the softies

Black and white erectus on anthelia and jewel box clam

med_gallery_2631914_834_130231.jpg

sun coral, tyree green toadstool, xenia elongata & pom pom xenia

tn_gallery_2631914_834_388890.jpg

What kind of starfish is this? It's about the size of a half dollar.

tn_gallery_2631914_834_702317.jpg

Orange & pink yuma

tn_gallery_2631914_834_720402.jpg

Red and blue - Superman yuma

tn_gallery_2631914_834_274788.jpg

Erectus on gorgonia

tn_gallery_2631914_834_63132.jpg

Neon green sinularia,stylopora & rhodactis

tn_gallery_2631914_834_255036.jpg

Edited by Jan

Looks great, Jan!! I am glad that you got your ponies into a larger tank!! More fun for them and for you!

Thank you, Chad. Thanks for stopping by with supplies and for letting me pick your brain a little too. The ponies definately look happy.

Looks great, Jan!! I am glad that you got your ponies into a larger tank!! More fun for them and for you!

The rena smartheater would work for you. I already have mine going to someone else, but the way they work is ok with seahorses. It's like a tube and the inside heats. It is worth looking into/researching. Easier than adding a sump, just to be able to use a heater.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wayne,

No, bazooka was eaten by a nudi that eats carnation corals. I was very upset about it because it actually sprouted a baby about 2 weeks prior to it's demise.

looks great Jan. Did bazooka make it?