Good Deal or no?

truestelf

Saw this online and was wondering if this was a good deal or not. It is Kent Marine Liquid Calcium 64oz for $23.99 Plus i have a coupon for free shipping and an additional 10% off the $23.99 price.

Good deal or no?

That's news to me. You can buy calcium cloride from home depo? What ratio do you add per a gallon based on increase desired? Are there any quality issues?

Edited by kingfish

Are there any quality issues?

Absolutely. Do your homework.

Saw this online and was wondering if this was a good deal or not. It is Kent Marine Liquid Calcium 64oz for $23.99 Plus i have a coupon for free shipping and an additional 10% off the $23.99 price.

Good deal or no?

If you add calcium, you should also dose alk. Keep things "balanced" and keep your PH in check. I am using this now. Get a Magnesium test and dose that as well if needed. These three things are all you should/need to dose in a reef tank (maybe iodine as well, but I don't recommend messing with that). No coralvite or all in ones...

http://www.marinedep...-FIADTP-vi.html

Price is good if you buy by the gallon. Get the gallons and two small bottles, and fill the small bottles from the gallon as you use it.

imo this works well.

Edited by BowieReefer84

If you add calcium, you should also dose alk. Keep things "balanced" and keep your PH in check. I am using this now. Get a Magnesium test and dose that as well if needed. These three things are all you should/need to dose in a reef tank. No coralvite or all in ones...

http://www.marinedepot.com/E.S.V._B_Ionic_2_Part_Calcium_Buffer_Two_Part_Calcium_Alkalinity_Additives_Supplements-E.S.V.-EV1111-FIADTP-vi.html

Price is good if you buy by the gallon. Get the gallons and two small bottles, and fill the small bottles from the gallon as you use it.

imo this works well.

Better yet- buy all 3 of the supplements you need from Home Depot and CVS. For less than $50 you can dose your tank for the next ten years. If you want a quicker return, save those 2 part bottles and fill 'em with the HD stuff and sell them to your friends.

Seriously- look up the articles by Randy Holmes Farley about DIY 3part dosing. It's the same stuff as what's in all the bottles with fancy packaging, just in generic form. Save yourself a ton of money.

Bottom line is I do not trust myself to mix that accurately, and don't feel like having to test 1,000 times every time I make a new batch to make sure it is correct. Once you dial in esv two part you can relax on the testing. Only need to change doses when load of tank changes. There are enough inconsistencies in the things I do, I prefer not to add to the mix.

I read the article in reefkeeping, and it does make perfect sense. Maybe one day I will stop paying corporate America the 1,000% profit on these products.

Do you mix these for your own use, or do you have reactors? Do you need to measure with a digital scale, or do you just use kitchen measuring cups?

Bottom line is I do not trust myself to mix that accurately, and don't feel like having to test 1,000 times every time I make a new batch to make sure it is correct. Once you dial in esv two part you can relax on the testing. Only need to change doses when load of tank changes. There are enough inconsistencies in the things I do, I prefer not to add to the mix.

I read the article in reefkeeping, and it does make perfect sense. Maybe one day I will stop paying corporate America the 1,000% profit on these products.

Do you mix these for your own use, or do you have reactors? Do you need to measure with a digital scale, or do you just use kitchen measuring cups?

If you can follow simple directions like, "Add 2.5 Cups of Dow Flake Cal. Chloride to a gallon of R/O water" for the calcium and "Bake 2.5 cups of baking soda at 250 degrees for one hour, then add to a gallon of R/O water", then you'll be fine. What would a reactor do in dosing calcium or alkalinity? Do you pour the ESV into a reactor?

You can't just dial in dosing 2 part and relax on testing. You'll end up with inconsistencies as the corals consume more alk and cal as they grow or water chemistry changes.

If you can follow simple directions like, "Add 2.5 Cups of Dow Flake Cal. Chloride to a gallon of R/O water" for the calcium and "Bake 2.5 cups of baking soda at 250 degrees for one hour, then add to a gallon of R/O water", then you'll be fine. What would a reactor do in dosing calcium or alkalinity? Do you pour the ESV into a reactor?

You can't just dial in dosing 2 part and relax on testing. You'll end up with inconsistencies as the corals consume more alk and cal as they grow or water chemistry changes.

I mean if you have a calcium reactor your don't need to dose calcium 2 part. I do not have a reactor, and if I did I would not pour anything in it... In regards to testing. I was trying to say the only change will be my water if I use esv 2 part (meaning the 2 part is the EXACT same everytime I buy it). If I make my own I would have to worry about my water changing as well as my recipe if I do not do it the EXACT same way everytime. Bottom line is I am not good at following simple directions. Hopefully, as the diy recipe catches on the manufacturers will lower prices. Maybe . . .

Absolutely. Do your homework.

I agree with CHUBAKAH, I would read more about it. It is not made to the standards of quality that most hobby specific products are. There seems to be some amount of impurities in it as my bag states it is only 80% calcium chloride. No exact measurements of what else is in it. We have to remember this stuff is made for melting ice, so Dow isn't going to care if some impurities find thier way into the batch. From reading on the net it seems there are some concerns about using it for routine supplementation as the bromide levels can become elevated in the tank. It seems fine to boost your salt mix before a water change but I would not use it as my sole calcium supplement.

Good deal or no?

Yes, the "price" which I believe was the question before the thread got hijacked is a good deal. If YOU like the product then use it. We all know what opinions are like, and they werent part of the question.

Yes, the "price" which I believe was the question before the thread got hijacked is a good deal. If YOU like the product then use it. We all know what opinions are like, and they werent part of the question.

Hijacked? I believe we were making sure he is also adding supplement for alk, so his parameters stay at a good level. I used to add purpleup all the time and wondered why my PH and ALK was always low. I didn't want to assume he knew this (as I did not know this). Regardless of what product you use the goals are the same. DIY, ESV, Kent, Purpleup etc. They all work, just make sure you are balancing your dosing.

Truestelf, if you want me to keep the limited knowledge I have to myself I will. I am a fan when people take the questions I ask to the next level.

i appreciate everyones input and ideas and suggestions. :O) if i trusted myself to stir and measure correctly id do what Rob does but i don't .

i appreciate everyones input and ideas and suggestions. :O) if i trusted myself to stir and measure correctly id do what Rob does but i don't .

Justin-

If you like, the next time you come up this way, I'll mix you a free gallon of calcium.

thanks Rob I appreciate that. I think i will be in Reston/Herndon sometime next week. PM when you get a chance i need a few things you might be able to get for me.