What netting to prevent jumpers?

encideought

Hey Everyone,

I don't like keeping a lid on my tank during the warm months, but I think I want to add a firefish, so I need something to prevent it from carpet surfing. I'd like to get some kind of netting that doesn't block light, and still lets the evaporative cooling do it's thing. Any ideas what to use and where to get it? I only have a 24-gal aquapod, so I don't need much material.

Thanks!

Nick

you can have my old top for free(obo :) ), just size it down a tad for your tank. if you dont know what im talking about do an advanced search and find my 47 gallon column tank thread in the dedicated tank area. its pond netting, the best stuff bar none. or i can just give you a piece of pond netting for your size tank. just measure off your rim size. just come by my place in laurel/columbia

i bumped up my 47 thread for you, sams is also a good example, i liked mine better as i used black framing instead of white and it just looks sleeker

I had trouble finding netting that wasnt too big of holes for my fish,

I have a canopy and it has an open back that had some blockers up but they did my picasso no good

Now i have some gutter gaurd up in back that no fish will fit thru cept maybe a miniature cleaner wrasse.

it was cheap but would not be great for over the tank.

The stuff i have found at Home Depot for gardens seems like too big of a hole, though tangs would be ok, clowns, most wrasses, etc would go right thru.

If someone could suggest where to find smaller it would be appreciated

I found some pond stuff at a local Hardware store but it was REDICULOUSly expensive, as in like 19bucks for more then i ever need, but i mean the other stuff with bigger holes was like 5 bucks for more then i need. granted 20 bucks is cheaper then most fish its still kinds too expensive.

I had the deer netting and lost two fish to them squeezing through the holes.. so instead, I went to the fabric section at walmart and bought some black mesh - kinda of like what you would see on a veil.

Followed the same methods in L8 2 RISE's post, but used this other netting. I've not had any problems since then, and no issues with light (T5's).

How high do typical fish jump? Can't your just put a "wall" around the lip of the tank at like 4 or 5 inches high. That would knock them back in the water, and you would not have to worry about light passing thru. I would use some 1/4" material and just put a couple wooden dowels thru to create an edge for it to sit on. Sand and paint. Maybe cost you 10 bucks for wood and 5 bucks for some spray paint . . . Not sure if it would look good to you, personal preference I guess.

Edited by BowieReefer84

The day after I put my net lid on, I had my female flame wrasse jump through and into a five gallon bucket (filled with the water that I used to acclimate the flames in) on the other side of the room- what are the odds?! I found her an hour or two later and she was fine. I doubled it up with egg crate but I'm going to place an order sometime soon for clear netting from BRS before I get my new tank up.