Thinking about starting a tank up again.

Charlie97L

Hey all!

Well, after a 2.5 year hiatus, I'm thinking about getting back into this wonderful hobby.

I changed careers, got a fixer upper house (and fixed it up), and am getting married, so taking a break was definitely the right call for me at the time. I also moved 4 times in that period.

I'm going to ease back into the community. I have a bunch of gear still laying about that and I'm going to see what kind of setup I can put together, but I probably won't have the actual tank up until after I get married in October.

Anyway, hi again to all you crazy DC reefers that I know, and I can't wait to get to know the ones I don't!

Charlie

what size tank you thinking?

i have a custom acrylic 20x18x18 tank left over (never seen water) from when I got out of the hobby a while back. it's designed to be sumpless, and I have the HOB filters/skimmer/fuge still sitting around, so I think that might be the way I go. Of course, since it's acrylic, I could easily add a sump, I guess, I just am thinking of keeping it simple this time around.

2 things I'm missing are a stand and a light. I'm looking into DIY LED but there is SO much information out there I'm having a hard time finding a guide, and/or how many LEDs and of what kind I should use over a tank my size.

...but I probably won't have the actual tank up until after I get married in October...

Smart order as one could prevent the other :lol2:

Smart order as one could prevent the other :lol2:

HA! No, she's into it. We can't get a dog or cat because of my allergies, so we're setting up a FW tank and a reef tank to satisfy the pet itch.

i have a custom acrylic 20x18x18 tank left over (never seen water) from when I got out of the hobby a while back. it's designed to be sumpless, and I have the HOB filters/skimmer/fuge still sitting around, so I think that might be the way I go. Of course, since it's acrylic, I could easily add a sump, I guess, I just am thinking of keeping it simple this time around.

2 things I'm missing are a stand and a light. I'm looking into DIY LED but there is SO much information out there I'm having a hard time finding a guide, and/or how many LEDs and of what kind I should use over a tank my size.

I'd go with the cannon.

Yeah, that is probably all you need.

I for one am waiting for the price to come down before I make any kind of a switch to LED. I am sticking with MH and T5s.

CHARLIE!!!!!!!

Wat up!!!! Hit me up bro! PM me if you need my number.

Man, I was not expecting this kind of response to my return. HA :)

Chris, I will hit you up in the mornin' via PM.