Sam

Guest floridaboy

thanx

Sam

As soon as I can I'll cal ya, JM

• 2 weeks later...
Guest areefer

Hey,

I just want to say thanks for the support that everyone is giving Sam and not flaming him like RC have a tendency to do sometime for newbie.

Well, that's the spirit. We are here to enjoy the hobby, each others, and have a good time. No need to rip each others apart. Perhaps the difference is that we all belong to the same club and meet from time to time.

JM

Hi Sam,

Glad that you looked into aquarium societies (AS) as well as the local retailer (LFS). If you are able to get fish from someone in the club, ask for the ten gallons of water too! Tank cycling can be a nasty process, so it is somewhat easier if you are able to transport the entire system : water, some live sand to mix with sterile aragonite, rock, etc. in under 2-3 hours. If you want to go the natural "cycling" route, just be very cautious and avoid getting over excited to add fish as mentioned in the above threads. Also by getting help from some of the very generous and respectable members in the club (the guys/gals above), you should be able to upsize your aquarium to perhaps a 20L or a 30L, maybe even a 30B which should be much easier for you to maintain as a newbie. Not sure what the tank prices are down there, but most retailers in the Baltimore area sell them for the following (tank & plastic hood w/ fluorescent light):

10Gallon Black Combo $34

20L Black Combo $59

30L Black Combo $83

As for books, I would like to add two more to the list:

Scott Michael's "Marine Fishes" $20-30

Fossa & Nilsens "Reef Secrets" $30-40

I hope your new hobby is tons of fun, and sustainable to both the environment and your allowance! :O)

Rich y Flor

Guest floridaboy

thanx

I'm working on it.  I have the aquarium, a mini jet and a source of sand, heater, light water, and some other stuff.  I'll look for those books, and in time I'll switch to a larger aquarium.

Sam :cool:

Hi Sam, I saw you Saturday night at Steve's, but did not get a chance to meet you.  I have Joyce Wilkerson's clownfish book that you can borrow.  I can also set you up with some live sand and some rubble rock to add a little diversity.  on our 10 gallon tank we have a hang on filter with I occassionaly throw some carbon into when needed.  Otherwise it functions for general filtration.  These can be picked up new real cheap (about $10-15).  

If you want to come over some time, you are more than welcome, though I have a similar setup to John Coppalino, but much different livestock.  I am across the potamac though, but not too far.  

Also, Bob (aka bcjm), who lives real close to you guys, breeds clownfish and has several species, though no idea what he is currently raising.  I am going to make a go of raising a batch of babies with some blue eye clarkii clownfish this summer with my daughter Abby (she was at the party).  Would be around September or so that they are ready if- somewhat big if here- we are sucessful.  I have raised several species of baby fish, but have never tried to rear them through the larval stage.

Maybe from your exerience here, we will be able to write up a little report to help others on a simple small tank.  The nemo movie has really prompted a need for this, and I have personally encounted several horror stories.

Guest floridaboy
Thanx  I'd like to meet up with you some time.  I have a lot of camps now that schools out...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Sam,

Glad that you looked into aquarium societies (AS) as well as the local retailer (LFS). If you are able to get fish from someone in the club, ask for the ten gallons of water too! Tank cycling can be a nasty process, so it is somewhat easier if you are able to transport the entire system : water, some live sand to mix with sterile aragonite, rock, etc. in under 2-3 hours. ... :O)

Rich y Flor

Last Thursday, we followed Rich's procedure to set up Sam's tank...

DRY Set up:

4" sterile sand bed

MJ 400 circulation pump

100W EboJaeger Heater

65W 6500K LoA lamp over tank

No lid

Then I did a water change in my system, capturing the water.  We then took live rock from my system and some live sand.

Transported water, LR and LS to Sam's.  "dumped it in" by placing a plastic trashbag over the sand bed, filled with water and LR.  Started up the heater and circulation.  He got two hitchhiker snails out of me to boot.

Last I checked, he's been zero's on all water testing so far (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and a steady pH of 8.0, salin around 1.025, etc.  Good numbers.

Questions:

1. For a FOWLR, what should he be feeding the tank?  I'm so used to feeding the reef, I'm wondering if the LR has stuff on it that needs feeding.

2. He added another 10 snails.  Is there enough life in the tank to feed them?  I've recommended he quickly get more livesand from other sources.  Question 1 looms large in my mind on this.

3. How long to wait before adding Nemo?

s

If you get your hands on a small heater that would be a good thing when doing water changes, for such a small tank.  HOWEVER, it isn't critical IMO.  I run a 30g tank, I have several fish and Inverts including some of the more fragile. I never preheat water in changes, but I do let it sit over night to come up to room temp. Generally you change more than 25% at a time anyway, but it the temps are far off keep it to 10% at a time and you shouldn't have an issue.

Thanks to Gatortailale, Sam now has a pair of false perculas swimming happily in his tank.  The numbers are still zeros, so the method of "everything comes from the same tank" seems to really work.  The sterile sand bed is starting to show "stuff" growing in it.

To all club members who helped w/donated equipment, Sam and his dad want to say thanks:

brobak

gatortailale

reefmon

Sph2sail

No stress in fish, and all seems to be working really well.  A nice project well on its way to success...

To everyone on this thread w/advice and counsel, this project went REALLY WELL!  One more family involved in proper and successful Nemo care!

s

Guest killrblue
Awesome contribution by club members.  Will pics be shown of this project?

Day1:

Just filled the tank.  Cloudy because it kicked up a bit, even using the plastic bag.  Dad and Sam looking on...

Day1 just filled.jpg

Close up from day1...

Day1 just filled close up.jpg

July 19:

Donation from Gatortailale of two false perculas and some live sand.  Swimming happily around.  Cloudy a bit from sand being dumped in...

Clowns in tank.jpg

I will bring a few goodies for Sam's tank next time I am over that way (some sand and tiny critters).  I wouldn't worry about the heater for water changes too much, as long as it is close to room temp.  One solution is to heat some up in the microwave real hot, then add it to the rest of the change water- though if someone has an extra laying around, then it is  always nice to have.  

As for food, a good flake food will keep the fish real happy, and maybe an occassion small amount of raw shrimp for a treat (he can just get a couple shrimp and keep them in the freezer and chop off bits).  Might as well start young claiming freezer space in the name of the fish :)

If you use a powerhead to mix your water change water, the heat from the pump will help warm it. (As I well know, went to do a waterchange the other night, and my new water was at 92!  Had to swap the mixing pump (sen 600) for a Maxi-jet and float bags of ice in the vat. )

Do you have the hood and light fixture for that tank?

Happy Reefing!

Glenn R

Glenn, we did not give him a hood for the tank.  That light he has is the Lights of America 65W flourescent.  It is hung on the wall over the tank.  With a hood, it would not work out.

Don't think he really needs it.  Thoughts?

s

Hey Sam awesome start! Congrats! I too started around your age (12) which was now about 13 years ago. With all of the guidance you have been receiving you should have an easy road to success.

I imagine by now you have checked out nano-reef.com. You'll see that you are not limited by a small tank, and it's amazing what some people do with tanks of our size (10 gallons). Go slowly and learn a little each day, and soon you'll see your nano evolve in front of your eyes. Check out one of the links on my tank...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11234

Whenever you are unsure of something just post a question on the WAMAS board here. I too think you are fine for now with no hood. If you ever are looking for a good cheap lighting setup check out www.ahsupply.com. This is where I purchased my 2x36 watt PC setup (power compact fluorescent lighting). With the clowns you are fine without a hood, although many fish that are suitable for nanoreefs are also notorious for jumping, including gobies and small wrasses. I would not add any more fish to your tank. Also regarding the water changes, I do one gallon a week, and just use a powerhead with no heater, which leaves the water between 75 and 80 degrees which is fine. There are many more investments that would be better than getting a heater for this. I too will be happy to setup you up with some "frags" of corals when you are ready.

Good luck Sam and welcome to this incredibly addicting hobby :D

John (aka Brooklyn Johnny in nano-reef.com land ;))

• 2 weeks later...
Guest floridaboy

hey  I just got my cable back, so i couldn't check the board.

Thanx to everybody who helped.

Sam

Guest floridaboy

any1 have an xtra 100 wat heater theyd sell me?

Sam