HOB Skimmer VS HOB Refuge?

BowieReefer84

I have a cpr bakpak 2 hob skimmer. My tank is only 29gal, and I do 3-4gal weekly water changes. My skimmer doesn't take much out of the water (I only have 4 small fish). Would I be better suited to turn it into a hob refuge with macro algae? I would only need to pull the skimmer cup, and turn off the airline. . . .Thoughts? My nitrates hang at about 10-15. All other parameters are ok.

Thank you!

This is just my opinion, but it is based on my experience of running skimmerless systems.

I personally think that you are better off with a HOB skimmer than an HOB refugium. The reason I say so is because a HOB refuge is relatively small and I dont think that you will be able to achieve a significant nutrient sink in a relatively small HOB fuge. Both of the systems that I ran skimmerless successfully (~5 years previously and current of ~2 years) have had filtration based on a large refugium at least 50% of the volume of the DT (I generated the 50% number without real methodology, but it has worked for me). My current setup has more refugium volume than DT volume, ~133% of DT volume to be specific.

However, the thing that really drives me to make the skimmer over refugium recommendation here is that you mention you have 10-15 ppm nitrates already. IME, refugium based systems are limited by nutrients other than nitrates and phosphates (e.g., iron) and drive the available nitrates and phosphates to zero. I am skeptical that you will be able to achieve a DSB and plant growth in a small HOB fuge that will use up your nitrates and phosphates.

All that being said, I was on the fence with my recommendation because I am not sure that a fuge will be able to do the job in your case. Every setup is different and it may work. If you are willing to experiment (i.e., accept that failure is an option in the effort of learning something), I would love to hear your results and I am more than willing to render an opinion on the matter and try to help out :)

(edited)

This is just my opinion, but it is based on my experience of running skimmerless systems.

I personally think that you are better off with a HOB skimmer than an HOB refugium. The reason I say so is because a HOB refuge is relatively small and I dont think that you will be able to achieve a significant nutrient sink in a relatively small HOB fuge. Both of the systems that I ran skimmerless successfully (~5 years previously and current of ~2 years) have had filtration based on a large refugium at least 50% of the volume of the DT (I generated the 50% number without real methodology, but it has worked for me). My current setup has more refugium volume than DT volume, ~133% of DT volume to be specific.

However, the thing that really drives me to make the skimmer over refugium recommendation here is that you mention you have 10-15 ppm nitrates already. IME, refugium based systems are limited by nutrients other than nitrates and phosphates (e.g., iron) and drive the available nitrates and phosphates to zero. I am skeptical that you will be able to achieve a DSB and plant growth in a small HOB fuge that will use up your nitrates and phosphates.

All that being said, I was on the fence with my recommendation because I am not sure that a fuge will be able to do the job in your case. Every setup is different and it may work. If you are willing to experiment (i.e., accept that failure is an option in the effort of learning something), I would love to hear your results and I am more than willing to render an opinion on the matter and try to help out smile.gif

Thank you very much for all the input! I think I will step my weekly water changes up to 4-5 gallons each for about a month. If I still have the lingering nitrates I will "experiment" with the refugium. I don't mind testing things if the fix I thought would work doesn't . . .

In the meantime PolyFilter is being added to my hob filter in place of regular floss.

Edited by BowieReefer84

You would also need to buy an appropriate sized light for your hob fuge

I have a 150w halide about a foot over the tank. I think there would be plenty of light spill. I would not do any reverse photo on opposing timers . . .

If you have to choose skimmer over HOT fuge, I would say stick with skimmer. I am all for fuge-based skimmerless systems when the fuge is packed with macros and at least 25% of the tank volume - a HOT fuge the typical size relative to tank size, is, IMO, not large enough. If your CPR Bak Pak is built like the one in my junk closet, I have to say I think it's a poor choice for conversion to a refugium.

If you have to choose skimmer over HOT fuge, I would say stick with skimmer. I am all for fuge-based skimmerless systems when the fuge is packed with macros and at least 25% of the tank volume - a HOT fuge the typical size relative to tank size, is, IMO, not large enough. If your CPR Bak Pak is built like the one in my junk closet, I have to say I think it's a poor choice for conversion to a refugium.

Agree and disagree. If you're going to convert the Bakpak to a fuge......don't bother. But, if you buy a CPR refugium that is better sized for your tank, it will work much better than the bakpak skimmer. I think there is one in the FS or FT forum. Sand, live rock rubble and macro algea will filter your 29g just fine.

I have a CPR 19inch wide hob fuge with light and pump for 75. I work in Reston. I doubt if you ever make it to Purcellville. :)

Im in the same issue as you are with actually a same size 29g tank. Im actually going to set up both filters but my only concern is, unless I'm completely mistaken, why put any polyfilter into the system. I was always under assumption they are just excess nutrient factories like the spnges you get with most pumps. Just my opinion. Hope all goes well!

Mike

Im in the same issue as you are with actually a same size 29g tank. Im actually going to set up both filters but my only concern is, unless I'm completely mistaken, why put any polyfilter into the system. I was always under assumption they are just excess nutrient factories like the spnges you get with most pumps. Just my opinion. Hope all goes well!

Mike

Don't be confused. Polyfilter is chemical filtration. It is not simply floss. Do not overuse, and remove from system once it loses to much of it's white coloration. I know different colors mean it is removing different things from the water. I have always had good sucess with it personally.