Ecoxotic 50w Photon Cannon

zygote2k

I decided to upgrade my LED light to the new Photon Cannon. It is a hanging pendant that I can easily hang from the ceiling. It has greater PAR values than a 250mh.

gallery_2631654_582_993.jpg

I would like to find some "REAL" specs, but all I saw was that the saltwater version is a 12-14k, and the cost is around 600 ea.. I cant believe its a called a photon cannon, I think thats what they used in ghostbusters..

The term "photon cannon" appeals to the inner geek in me blush.gif

Although, I guess if you really want to get technical about it, every light producing device could be considered a "photon cannon" :)

I am curious about PAR values.

T-

I'm changing only because I want a sleeker looking light fixture. I'm sure I will still have good growth when I switch to the cannon. It's a 12k, 50w with a glass focusing lense.

I don't mean to be a buzz-kill, but I would like to clarify some misconceptions many people have regarding LEDs. Hopefully this information will help hobbyists make more informed decisions in an arena fast filling with misleading ads or hype.

First off, wattage doesn't mean anything when talking LEDs. There are many flavors of LEDs manufactured by a handful of companies. 90% of which will degrade when pushed to limits needed to provide adequate intensity for our reef tanks. Therefore, detailed specs are usually not published. Instead, they focus on wattage or other universally understood advantages of LEDs like energy savings, cooler running, and the overused and claimed 50,000 hour lifetime. That 50,000 hour rating depends largely on one factor; heat management. This is something which manufactures don't always design adequately because they need to save money. Also, with higher emitter densities, cooling needs increase. Take this "Photon Cannon" for example. This 50w EdiStar is made up of 49 ~1 watt emitters pushed together into a relatively tiny area. The 50,000 hour rating is dependent on keeping the junction temps under 65 degrees C (roughly 150 degrees F). It would take quite a beast of a cooling system to dissipate the amount of heat which will be generated from this small area. Regarding light output:

The Edison spec sheet says this 50 watter is rated at 3200 lumens. This amounts to 64 lumens per watt. To put things into perspective, the bins of Cree emitters most DIY'ers and AquaIllumination uses, rate a minimum of 100 lumens per watt. The newer XPG emitters run between 140-160 lumens per watt. This may not mean anything to the Average Joe on paper, but that is twice the amount of light output for the same wattage! I don't have Cree stock or anything, (missed the boat on that one) but there is a reason why the AI units are expensive.

This new market is quickly emerging, but unless hobbyists become more informed, manufactures will just keep creating hype and take advantage of fads and trends with little to backup.

-Robert

Just came in!

Very bright and very white. Much brighter than 4) PAR 38's. Weighs about 6# and comes with an attachment kit. No fan either- not needed due to the extremely large internal heatsink. I'll post PAR numbers when I take it to Marine Scene tomorrow.

• 1 year later...

ROb how did these turn out for you? I am thinking about getting them. Have heard nothing but good things about them and how powerful they are and great for DD Tanks. Lets see some pics! Enjoyed your Youtube Vid of it as well as you talking on the phone...lol