Wally's Aquarium

Guest clownfish4

Guest clownfish4

Direct quote from an e-mail I recieved from Wally's Aquarium.

"JBJ has done it again. We now have the 6 gallon Nanacube* Yes, you can keep Nemo and Dori and all their friends in an environment that will not bust your budget.

Come by and take a look at this miniature tank system. It has Wally's approval."

So apparently keeping 12" fish in a 6 gallon aquarium is not frowned upon! And now more people can join the hobby with limited budgets to get all their little friends from an animated movie! Anybody else find this appalling? I read the entire e-mail and I don't see any sarcasm in it or anything, so what do you think?

I dropped of a colored flyer of our upcomming meeting at Wally's World - they said they would have to ask the owner who was not there if they could post it - I went back a week later as I drop by this business every now and again to get an item when I do not want to place an online order. The flyer was no where to be seen- I registered my disappointment in not engaging and support the hobby which would be in their own interests.

There really is only one on their staff -Steve who has much of a knowledge base in the marine aquarium issues, so this type of Email does not suprise me. <_<

Guest clownfish4

Frags are doing great Chip! I have never been impressed by Wally's, but still, Dori, and friends, in a 6g? That's just crossing the line.

I have heard that Steve from Wally's has jacked it in and gone back to working construction in Stafford.

He helped me a great deal when i was starting out.

I went in the other day to check the place out after the makeover, FW looked fine the odd dead fish but there was no improvement in the SW section, and the coral prices seemed to have risen since i was there last too, this isn't a bash as i used to shop there a lot, just my observations.

Anton

anton, i like your avatar!!

on wally's when i was doing a cichlid tank everyone recommended wally's, so i went there. so far i have only bought dry goods and some pond weed to feed fish on vacations. i think it smells funny, im not sure what that means but i am not impressed with there stuff either. i do support reeftank, roozens, and sometimes marine scene. for the others, i have not been there yet, so i cannot speak of them. but cramming a tang into a 6 gallon IMO is not good.

Guest mikesroth

Not to mention... It wasn't Nemo and Dori who hung out during the Movie, it was Nemo's Dad.

They definitely changed things around since the last time we were in there. Of course my biggest problem with them has always been their sign is in a bad spot and ZIP right past them. :)

The people there are friendly and their new FW setup looks better. I just wished that they would take care of their SW tanks also.

Guest reverai
Direct quote from an e-mail I recieved from Wally's Aquarium.

"JBJ has done it again.  We now have the 6 gallon Nanacube*  Yes, you can keep  Nemo and Dori and all their friends in an environment that will not bust your budget.

Come by and take a look at this miniature tank system.  It has Wally's approval."

So apparently keeping 12" fish in a 6 gallon aquarium is not frowned upon!  And now more people can join the hobby with limited budgets to get all their little friends from an animated movie!  Anybody else find this appalling?  I read the entire e-mail and I don't see any sarcasm in it or anything, so what do you think?

26724[/snapback]

This is less Wally's and more JBJ as that is what it says on JBJ web site. Let's just say it's more a matter of someone being lazy than anything else.

Steve

Guest Siders
(edited)

I don't agree with that statement about ALL nemo and his friends :D but the blue tang could be done when the fish was about the size of a quarter. <_< I have seen a blue tang before that size but after about a week or two it would be way to big for 6 gallon tank. By the way unless you want to due some mods on a nano cube then I wouldn't buy it. The one I bought came with bioballs and some other crappy filter media. Anyways I would buy an airstone driven skimmer, cut a hole in the back, throw some chaeto in the back area with a reading light over it and put a fan under one of the vents because it can get hot. Oh and the pump is worthless. Loud and weak--not a good combo. :blink:

Edited by Siders

I keep a panther grouper and a pair of lookdowns in a 2.5 gallon nano on my desk here at work. They don't turn around much, but they stay wet - that's okay, right...? :63:

OUsnakebyte,

I just moved to the Columbia Heights area of DC right around the corner from you. How big is the Panther Grouper :o & pair of lookdowns in your 2.5 gallon nano? :blink: I'd love to see this! Maybe I can swing by one day... LMK

Guest FloridaShock

I go to Wally's every now and then, and occasionally buy something. I do like how they've redone it. As for the staff I'm not impressed. For awhile there was a guy there that was very helpful, maybe Steve, the rest are not helpful at all and act like you're wasting their time when you ask for help. That's just from my experiences there.

OUsnakebyte,

I just moved to the Columbia Heights area of DC right around the corner from you. How big is the Panther Grouper  :o & pair of lookdowns in your 2.5 gallon nano?  :blink: I'd love to see this! Maybe I can swing by one day... LMK

27200[/snapback]

Sorry man... I was being a total smart###... No way would I ever do something like that... I was just poking fun at keeping a tang in a 6 gallon tank. Guess I should have put in a disclaimer, huh... :)

I do have a nano on my desk here at work (actually a 5.5 gallon) that is populated by a few sinularia, shrooms, zoanthids, yellow polyps, some macro alge, and a purple tube anemone - no fish. I want it to be a low maintenance tank. I feed the anem 2-3 times a week.

I have a 75 at home (18th and Harvard - Adams Morgan) that you are more than welcome to stop by and have a gander at and/or stop by and see the nano at work (the Zoo). Both are close to you. Just let me know.

Cheers

Mike

I keep a panther grouper and a pair of lookdowns in a 2.5 gallon nano on my desk here at work.  They don't turn around much, but they stay wet - that's okay, right...?    :63:

27116[/snapback]

LOL. Yea, as long as they stay wet, they should be ok.