Lamarcks Angelfish not reef safe

zygote2k

I just picked up a big Derasa clam and an ultra Wellso from Novi. It turns out that my pair of Lamarcks like them too.

Just thought I'd share this with the board in case someone was going on the assumption that these angelfish are reef safe.

Copps said that they only ate slime from injured corals- this much is true. When the green slimer acro puts off excess slime, they will slurp it down, but they don't touch the actual coral. The only corals that they have eaten were injured previously from fragging, etc.

I now have to make the decision to either part with the pair or the lps/clam.

Interesting, I thought Genicanthus sp. were planktivores. I guess just like polyp eaters can be taught to eat pellets, planktivores can be taught to eat polyps.

All the "experts" say they're planktivores. You should stop smearing plankton on your clams and LPS.

I feed them flakes, cyclopeeze, phyto, rotifers, small pellets, large pellets, and dying corals.

I feed them flakes, cyclopeeze, phyto, rotifers, small pellets, large pellets, and dying corals.

Sorry. Bad attempt at humor.

I think Angels are amazing but I love corals more so I will not keep any regardless of how reef safe they may be (Flame, Potters, etc..) because I have heard just way to many horror stories of prize possesions being eatin.

Rob, many people say that anecdotally their angels that are not coral and clam eaters will eat new additions to the tank while not touching older stuff. Some have put new additions in "safe zones" where the fish can see them and get used to them but not reach them to pick at them. Have you thought of doing that? You can use any clear container and drill some holes in it and invert it to keep it within smell and sight of the fish, but not within reach. When they cease to be interested in it, remove the container and monitor them to see if they pick at it. In many ways fish are like other animals that examine something new in their domain but when the novelty wears off they lose interest.

That's basically what I've done. I made an eggcrate cage/fragrack to enclose the Wellsophyllia and left the clam to fend for itself. I was more worried about the Wells and I'd kinda like to see a clam catch a fish even though it would certainly mean the demise of one of the angels. The angels seem to be losing interest in the Wells even though I spotted one working its' way into the cage. I didn't see any nipping though. Occassionally they'll nip at the clam, but it seems less frequent than when I first put it in the tank. It would be great if they eventually left both of them alone because they are very nice and I didn't want to trade them again.

I had a clown get stuck in a clam before and both survived despite me having to pry the clam open, although I think I contributed to the clam's eventual death when I did so.

I have a lamark now for four years and NEVER had a problem. Eats anything I put in the tank and never touched my sps, lps, and large clam. Keep them well fed and it may turn around on you so you don't have to get rid of them.

I have a lamark now for four years and NEVER had a problem. Eats anything I put in the tank and never touched my sps, lps, and large clam. Keep them well fed and it may turn around on you so you don't have to get rid of them.

I feed the tank heavily on a daily basis- I think since I have a dedicated pair, things might be a little different than having a solitary individual. They don't bother the clam anymore, but they still won't leave the Wellso alone.

They don't bother any of the other LPS in the tank either- frogspawn, fungia, duncan, cyphastreas, galaxea.

I'm not going to get rid of them, but I am taking offers on the Wellsophyllia.