Devils Hand Coral

WaterDog

So this was the first thing we put in the tank, maybe in October or November. Lately though, it's been kind of drooping over and it looks like its foot is turning brownish. We called the place we bought it from and they said that it's dying. But most of its polyps are still out.

Ammonia, nitrate, phosphates, and nitrite are all 0. pH is 8.4, calcium is 450, and Alk is about 8 dkH

gallery_2632200_742_1102577.jpg

gallery_2632200_742_933545.jpg

It looks perfectly healthy to me. The brown base is actually a sign of growth- that is "old" base, which will become covered with other encrusting life, sort of like moss & lichens on old tree trunks.

mine droops, leans over and shrivels up...then it starts tearing off little buds dropping them everywhere. it looks healthy to me too.

I have had several leathers, and they just act weird some times. I have a toadstool that is by far the most sensitive coral in my tank. It closes up every now and then. I actually think devils hand corals are some of the hardest leathers to keep. Make sure you know what part of the world it is from. I hear that some are areas are better than others.

I have had several leathers, and they just act weird some times. I have a toadstool that is by far the most sensitive coral in my tank. It closes up every now and then. I actually think devils hand corals are some of the hardest leathers to keep. Make sure you know what part of the world it is from. I hear that some are areas are better than others.

How would someone find out where in the world a particular devils hand leather came from? Which parts of the world have more difficult devils hand?

IME, Sinularias are some of the easiest corals to keep.

I agree that it looks fine. Worry if it starts getting mushy spots.

Every once in a while, my Sinularia starts to pout for a week or so, drooping and not extending polyps. Then one day it perks up and looks like the happiest coral in the world. No obvious explanation, like shedding mucus or something. Maybe one of the other corals says something mean.

Thanks everyone, it's good to know I'm not killing it. I'm not sure if it's the flow as I've moved the powerheads and it didn't change anything. The hand is about three quarters way up and I have 4 T-5 bulbs. I think the last time they were changed was February or March.