No PE

onux20

The only time I see any appreciable PE is after the lights go out. None of my SPS are sporting a 'fro like hunter's. <I am extremely jealous> ;)

I changed the Ro/Di filters and increased the T5 cycle. The coral started looking better and are coloring up nicely. I believe them to be reasonably healthy, they are starting to encrust again but still no PE.

Params are "normal". I have found red bugs on a couple of frags. I removed and dipped. I agree they could still be the issue.

Any other thoughts?

Ron

PE...potential energy? Haha, sorry, still just a little new at the whole acronym thing.

polyp extension. Funny tho!

Whenever i had a problem with PE it was a dwarf angelfish. Do you have any small angels?

I notice more PE after I run carbon and after a water change.

Redbugs only affect some corals. I have had redbugs and amazing PE at the same time, so if you have red bugs, that isn't your problem unless they are in plague proportions.

Hope you figure it out!

List the fish that you have.

I would remove your inverts and interceptor the whole tank. After six hours you will have piece of mind that there are no more red bugs.

(edited)

List the fish that you have.

I would remove your inverts and interceptor the whole tank. After six hours you will have piece of mind that there are no more red bugs.

Scopas, Blue eye Kole, Flame Angel, Damsels X2, Fire Fish X2, Coris

Thinking the same...

Edited by onux20

I put my money on the Flame Angel. You may not have seen it but I bet it has been picking at the corals.

Can you move it to another tank or even the sump to see if the PE returns? It will take a few weeks for them to return.

Get rid of the flame angel, had the same problem, I would also do the interceptor treatment as well.. You should be headed down the right path after that..

The biggest problem with getting the angel out is he's fast, pretty reclusive, and has a good hidey hole.

I know he nips on occassion. If I am watching the tank for 15 min he may nip once. Carry that out across the day and across 8-10 corals, do you think that is still enough to reduce PE?

Hmmmm.....

Thanks for the advice. Probably gonna start with the interceptor. Any reccommendations on a Vet that understands the request?

Ron

It is your flame angel. The red bugs are not as serious a threat as that angel, IMHO.

All your corals are being stressed out constantly with the picking which means they aren't as healthy as they can be.

The good news is you only have a 120... I had to take EVERYTHING out of my 220 to catch a dwarf angel. It was awful.

Why don't you not feed your tank a day or two, and on the third get a decent size net like 6"x6" to go at him with? Might get a couple extra fish in the process, but seems like it might be a worthy idea. I would put the net in the water first, then food, then lift. AND VOLA! Haha. Turn the pumps off so the food is literaly in one place . . .

i think 1800 pet meds (online as well) does not require a perscription for interceptor.

get a fish trap, i borrowed one from a member and it really worked (especially when the fish where trying to attack a new addition when it was in the bag, it requires A TON of patience but if you get them used to the trap and feed out of it all the time it will usually work

the one i used was an acrylic box (look like a file folder with a door on a fishing line for me to pull shut.

good luck, i always wanted a flame or a potters but am so afraid of having a nipper

Why don't you not feed your tank a day or two, and on the third get a decent size net like 6"x6" to go at him with? Might get a couple extra fish in the process, but seems like it might be a worthy idea. I would put the net in the water first, then food, then lift. AND VOLA! Haha. Turn the pumps off so the food is literaly in one place . . .

I doubt that will work. All I have to do is walk up to the tank with a net in my hand and they all run into the rocks. They know and fear the net.

borrow a 100 gallon stock tank and another tank to hold corals. It will take you 2-3 hours probably to take everything out, rid your take of the fish, and put it all back.

The 220 took a whole day.

I've taken down my 120 to remove fish before and I just used two rubbermaid tubs. I moved the corals to the sump and also to one rubbermaid. Most of the rock went into the other tub. Tearing it down and catching the fish was a piece of cake. Schedule it during a water change and it is a great time to re-aquascape the tank.

My money is on the flame angel. I had a coral beauty that nipped incessantly. Once i got him out things got better.

I was able to catch mine in three days using a water bottle trap baited with shrimp.

Day one the shrimp was hanging out of the bottle, day two I moved the shrimp further into the bottle day three it was all the way in the bottle and when the angel went into the bottle to nibble at the fish, I had him.

You'll never net him.

Good luck!

Laura

Laura,

Did you ever do a thread on how you made the bottle trap? I can't remember if it had a trap door or just a string to pull or lift the open end up out of the water.

Thanks to all for the advice. Since I KNOW I have red bugs in the tank, I am going to start with the interceptor and go from there. I DO NOT want to try and remove the rock.

Now moving the inverts... Anyone know of any special requirements to remove spaghetti worms? They have been the coolest hitchers I have found so far. Can I move chaeto and inverts to a holding tank while treating then return to the system when safe? Or can the chaeto house the red bugs? I am hoping to save at least some of my pods.

Thanks again WAMAS.

Ron

If you want to remove items like the chaeto I would keep it in a system without any acros for at least a month to starve out any possible hitchers.

Are the worms in the rocks or sand? If sand, just scoop them out. For the rocks, you might want to do them the same as the chaeto, isolate until the red bugs starve.

(edited)

i think 1800 pet meds (online as well) does not require a perscription for interceptor.

According to their webiste they still require a perscription. Can anyone point me to a vet that understands to requirement and will write a script?

Ron

Edited by onux20

imo, just killing the redbugs is not going to solve your PE. You need to also remove that flame. If you are going to bite the bullet to treat the tank you might as well catch the fish too.

Just toss the cheato and get some more from a member. Pods will come back quickly.

you can't get interceptor legally without a prescription because it is a controlled substance.