Just to let people know. I recieved x-rated links in private message.

TonyInVa

You would need to be more specific with your question for me to give you a valid response. "what would it get me"? is not a good question. No one said that I was going to get anything, other than stopping the problem from being a recurring one through technical means which is usually the goal of a security practitioner.

How would you stop a site located in Russia?

You don't stop the site, you block their access to your site via firewall or Intrusion Detection sensors that can block their IP or mac addresses. There are also many other controls that can be set depending on what you have the capability to do, but suffice it to say that you can make things difficult for them if you choose to. In many cases, they are just ignored and eventually they decide that it is no fun since no one is paying attention to them and they leave by their own accord. Most of these types are there to inject malware or other malicious codes just for the heck of it.

It's my belief that the spammer came through two anonymous proxies over the course of the evening. One proxy was in Latvia, the other in the Netherlands. We've blocked both IP's and taken other action to make WAMAS a more difficult target from that account. We are now considering other actions to make it more difficult to do this sort of thing in the future. The initial goal was just to make the spammer go away - maybe to seek other, easier targets. We seem to have achieved that goal. Our next goal will be to try to see if we can't make it more difficult for this sort of thing to happen again without penalizing the membership with excessive restriction.

Thank you to everyone who reported this and who put up with the disruption while it lasted.

I have been on the WAMAS boards for over 10 years and that was a first. Do you have a lot of attempts like that?

Thank you to all those that are working behind the scenes to keep the boards clean.