can't find southdawn in VA

bcjm

Guest fishfreek
Southdown is also sold now under some other names.  I think one of the is Old Castle and the other is yardwrite or something like that.

Went to HD this morning.  The only sand I saw is called "tropical play sand" like all HD stores.  It is in bule and read bag. It is also marked as "Not recommended for aquarium use".  Is this actually the southdawn sand?

No the tropical play sand is different.  They usually keep what you want all the way inthe back of the garden area.  I will go to HD tomorrow but last week the HD at the intersection of 7100 and 29 had a pallet in the garden area all the way back near where they bring the pallets in from.  If you want i can just buy it for you if you let me know how much you want.

Went to HD this morning.  The only sand I saw is called "tropical play sand" like all HD stores.  It is in bule and read bag. It is also marked as "Not recommended for aquarium use".  Is this actually the southdawn sand?

Yes, thats the Southdown playsand.

Went to 4 HD, all "tropical sand" were sold out.  Must be a busy long weekend for many people.  If anyone happen to see the sand in HD in the past day or two, please let me know.

BTW.  I checked Reef central. Southdown was bought by another company.  The sand bag does not have "SOUTHDOWN" labeled anymore.

Yes, the bags you saw were the right one.  You can tell it is more white than the typical silica sand (which is also find to use contrary to misconception, but you don't get the minor buffering provided by carbonate sand).  Huge deal with the aquarium people, who purchase from the same supplier, requiring southdown to label the bag "not safe for aquarium" so that they will shy away people from using it and pay the huge trade mark up in price.  How much do you need?  I have a full bag in the truck, and can give it to craig when I see him, and you can pick it up with your book.....  It's only 1 bag though.

I just saw three pallets yesterday at the Sterling/Cascades Home Depot... It is the Tropical Play Sand stuff. The bag is just about identical to the old Southdown, but the new one doesn't say Southdown on it. When you actually look at the company name it does say Southdown though. The usual "not for aquarium use" is still on it...  :D

John

Guys be careful with the new stuff. I have heard there are two bags out there now to replace the old Southdown. One has a ton of limestone and metals in it from what I have heard/read.

Guest Zombeezy

The Southdown I got a few weeks ago at the Fairfax HD (West Ox & 29) was in the garden section, all the way on the center to right side of the back wall. Most HD have a southdown section with bags of their larger gravel and stuff, but the sand is usually where the build-it-yourself playground equipment is, or separate from the gravel.

"Southdown Tropical Play Sand", blue bag with white and red lettters. "Soft texture - sterilized - silica-free - From the Caribbaean".

Waiting for my new WAMAS membership to finalize!

Zombeezy,

welcome.gif

to WAMAS!

BTW has anyone been following the anti-DSB threads on the boards?  Some very interesting discussions with very compelling arguments happening.

Sand were sold out at HD at West Ox and Rt. 29 the past weekend.  I went to Steerling this afternoon got 6 bags.  They got 2 pallets left.  Thank you for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nosartur
Next time someone gets a bag get the SKU# or inventory #.  My wife's best friend is married to a HD manager so I might be able to get Southdown ordered if there are enough people that want it at one time.

Guest cjm033
i know alot of people use "quick crete" brand playsand if they cant find southdown and and works just as good,Chris

Guest killrblue
I bought a bag from the the Reston HD.  Took a while to find it even the help of an employee.  It wasn't in the concrete section but the gardening section.  I'll post up the SKU# later tonight.

Just bought 5 bags at the Springfield, HD.  There are a few bags left, be careful becuase they had fertilizer spilled all over the bags and many had small holes in the bags.  I had to dig to get 'clean' bags of sand w/out fertilizer in it.

BB

I just grabbed 5 bags at the HD at West Ox and Rt. 29.  

Lawn and garden section outside, NOT in the building section.  The only product not on a rack, way in the back on the right.  There is a whole skid.

Still not sure about this SKU thing.  Aquariua USA raised a question on 2 diffrent kinds that never got answered.  It didn't say Southdown but some other Co. Name in PA.

Clear plastic bag with blue ink backround, red& white letters "Soft texture - sterilized - silica-free - From the Caribbaean" as Zomby said.

$4.95 / 50 lb. bag