DC Switched from Chlorine to Chloramine

Brian Ward

This is similar to the temporary switch that DC does every year. It is usually announced in the little fliers that come in the water bill.

So the RO/DI filter that I just bought has (in order of flow) Sediment -> Carbon -> RO Membrane -> DI -> Inline DI Filter. What do I need to change to account for Chloramine?

Do you have 1 or 2 carbon filters? What is the micron level of it (them)? Typically, you would replace the larger of the 2 carbon filters with the catalytic carbon cartridge. The 2nd carbon filter would absorb any fine sediment prior to hitting the RO filter. If you only have a single carbon filter, I would recommend adding a 5th stage between the sediment and the carbon.

Charlie, I'd add a stage in between the sediment filter and the carbon block (assuming that the "carbon" stage you have above is carbon block, and not granular activated carbon). It would look like this:

Sediment Filter => Catalytic-GAC => Carbon Block => RO Membrane => DI => output

When I added a stage to my arrangement, I ordered a bracket, a filter housing, a refillable cartridge, some bulk catalytic GAC, and a couple of fittings from Bulk Reef Supply.

I just have the one Carbon. Is there some place locally that I can pick that up reasonable?

I'd recommend calling around. Most of our vendors will know what you're talking about and what you're trying to do. The online vendors also have the parts and if you go with The Filter Guys (link earlier) they have a specific "chloramine blaster" add-on that runs 2 cartridges of catalytic carbon.

When I added a stage to my arrangement, I ordered a bracket, a filter housing, a refillable cartridge, some bulk catalytic GAC, and a couple of fittings from Bulk Reef Supply.

Basically, what I just ordered.

did a search for my county about chromanie in the water system. i'm a little confused by this article here. it said they switched FROM chloramine (chlorine combined with ammonia) TO free chlorine (chlorine in an uncombined state). Does that mean my county regularly use Chloranmine in the water?

http://www.loudounwater.org/News/Annual-Water-Main-Flushing-Program-Begins-April-5/

did a search for my county about chromanie in the water system. i'm a little confused by this article here. it said they switched FROM chloramine (chlorine combined with ammonia) TO free chlorine (chlorine in an uncombined state). Does that mean my county regularly use Chloranmine in the water?

http://www.loudounwater.org/News/Annual-Water-Main-Flushing-Program-Begins-April-5/

Loudoun County normally uses chloramine as the principal disinfectant in the water that they deliver to the customer. Once a year, however, Loudoun flushes the pipes in its entire system to dislodge sediments and to check the operation of its delivery system. The process of flushing the pipes normally takes 6 to 8 weeks or so. During this time, they switch over to free chlorine. After the flushing process is over, however, they go back to chloramine. The bottom line is that for 44 weeks or so, Loudoun uses chloramine. So, yes, your county (and mine) regularly uses chloramine.