Can my sump be bigger than my tank?

fogcutter

So while I'm more than ready to buy and setup a new tank, I've been getting some pretty serious push back from my significant other. Can't say that I blame her too much since I was such a noob when I set up my first tank and I'm pretty sure she remembers some of the flooding / water spills. ;)

So in a compromise I've decided to go lower on my tank size.....a 29 gallon or lower. However, I already own a custom made acrylic sump that's 30 gallons. So besides that fact that I'll be looking at my setup and thinking "this is just WRONG" all the time....does anyone foresee any problems with having more water (relatively) in the sump than in my main tank?

I see no problem at all with that thinking.... Just make sure that you have thought through the various failure scenarios (power outages, clogged overflows, etc.) to make sure that you have room enough to keep your floors dry!

I know of several members that have more water volume in sumps, fuges, frag tanks, etc. than is in the main display. There really is no down side.

I am one of those members... My DT is 60 gallons and my sump is 75. Additional volume and "fuge" space is only good :)

Actually, my DT is only 40% of my total system volume, hmmm, is that weird? hehe j/k

^and haha, I get the old school south park reference tongue.gif

nothing wrong with that at all, just one day flip them when she is gone and be like oh no honey it was always like that.