Newly made rock......will it cause problems??

steveoutlaw

I just made a nice arch out of some dried rock and portland cement (along with some Marco Rock rubble. I wanted to put it in my softie tank to turn it into live rock. How long do I have to let the portland cement dry (It's been 2 weeks)? Also, is this going to cause a cycle?

thanks.

Have you been soaking it in water for those two weeks? If not, you need to put it in water or the lime will never leach out. I make many rocks and I would soak it for about 3 weeks and change the water every couple of days. You will not get any cycle from it.

How big is this rock?

It won't create a cycle because there is no organic material to rot and turn into ammonia. But the cement may affect your pH.

You only have to let it dry for a day, then soak for about a month in water. While soaking you should change the water out weekly. You can speed the soak time up to one week if you soak it in vinegar.

I run the out-flow (waste water) from my water filter into a bucket, and then to the drain. I put my home-made frag disks in the bucket - constant water change!

bob

If it is only a small amount of rock and the tank is not a nano it can be done. It actually will buffer the tank some. Just watch the pH to make sure it doesn't rise to high.

I'd rinse it a few times in do/ro if your going to put it straight in... an you might kill your tank with the spike....is it worth it? 2 weeks soak isn't that long.... but in the end I don't know what I'd do ... sometimes risk is exciting!

If it is only a small amount of rock and the tank is not a nano it can be done. It actually will buffer the tank some. Just watch the pH to make sure it doesn't rise to high.

Agreed - depends on how much cement is in there - and how much water you're putting it into. If the pH starts to climb - just take it out and soak it for a while... :)

bob