VorTech power heads

fogcutter

ok...after reading the entire product manual for the EcoTech MP 10 and 40 ES pumps I can safely say that these are the COOLEST POWERHEADS EVAR!!! H-E-double hockey sticks they even have pretty lights!! haha

They are so over-the-top cool that I can't believe I'm considering dishing out over $500 bucks for a powerhead(s)

My plan right now if for a 57g rimless. Will two of the MP 10w ES's be enough? Not sure if I'm going to have any SPS's but I think that these two would be enough.

Anyone running anything similiar?

I think it all depends on how much flow you want to run and how you aquascape. I have a MP40W and a MP20 in my 72 both set on reef crest and they get the job done for me real well.

I think it all depends on how much flow you want to run and how you aquascape. I have a MP40W and a MP20 in my 72 both set on reef crest and they get the job done for me real well.

Are you running them in the master/slave setup or independently? IMO that's one of the coolest functions about these pumps.

I have a 50g cube (2'x2'x20") - originally I had one MP10 and one Mag 5 return pump (vertical head approx 30") and with the MP10 on full force, the flow in the tank was adequate for the softies and LPS that we have. However, I was noticing some algae growth in the bottom back corner so when one of the online distributors dropped the MP10 to $175, I bought two of them. Now I have two MP10s running in Reef Crest at max power. Both pumps are on the back wall, one on the left one on the right; one near the top, one near the bottom. The flow in the tank looks much better and the fish seem more active.

Why not run just 1 mp 40 dialed down

if that's aimed at me, I preferred to have the hi/low cross tank flow that I'm getting with two MP's vs. the single point of movement with one MP. It may be bigger, and it may push more water, but there's still only one point of origin and I wanted more than that.

if that's aimed at me, I preferred to have the hi/low cross tank flow that I'm getting with two MP's vs. the single point of movement with one MP. It may be bigger, and it may push more water, but there's still only one point of origin and I wanted more than that.

I prefer that myself. My old tank had 3 Maxi Jets on a wavemaker and that worked really well. So if I get the two MP 10w ES's and run them on the Anti-sync program I'm thinking that would pretty much rock! :)

Been thinking of getting an MP40 and an MP10 for the 90 gallon I am getting ready to set up. Costly but they do look cool and the lack of heat transfer is a bonus to those of us that need to maintain a lower tank temperature.

I run 1 mp40 in a 72gal, its in the dead center of the back wall and I get good flow all around, no cyno (atleast in the display), but your rock work also plays a factor in how many and where you can place them.. I have minimal rocks and there in 2 columns with the middle open, so my flow circles around the columns and gives me good high and low flow areas.. I think your fine with 2 mp10's, but I also think your more than fine with 1 mp40.. Also consider when you upgrade, and you probably will, then those 2 mp10's wont be enought for that sweet 120gal tank you buy, now your gonna have to buy the mp40 to provide enough flow.. In this hobby it can pay off to think long term...

.. Also consider when you upgrade, and you probably will, then those 2 mp10's wont be enought for that sweet 120gal tank you buy, now your gonna have to buy the mp40 to provide enough flow.. In this hobby it can pay off to think long term...

Certainly good advice. Another consideration I have is the size difference between the 10's and the 40. I try hard to hide most of my electronics and equipment and I think I'll have an easier job with the 10's. As for the upgrades, I won't be upgrading my tank until I upgrade my house and by the time that happens they'll have developed powerheads that hover by themselves and moved about the tank using artificial intelligence. ;)

I'm just glad these things exist...can't wait to own them. Now to work on a bank loan for that controller I'm looking at as well.....

I comend you on wanting to keep it clean... But 2 will take up more space then 1, and you will have 2 cords into the tank.. Im j/k, the 2will look and work great.. IMO they are well worth the money..